Chapter Thirty-Five: Lake

When Saturday morning came, everyone met up at the van in the student parking lot. The pack was on edge, trying to make sure they weren't followed by anyone the purebloods had in Mason's pack, or the purebloods themselves. Bags were loaded into the back of the van, with a bunch of other things that they would need. People volunteered blankets, and bed sheets. There were even a few pillows tossed into the van. When everyone had left, having loaded their stuff, Derek was the last one standing there with Leila. Nicholas and Aaron had gotten into the car, and Charlie was waiting for Leila by the doors. Derek sighed, moving forward. He zipped Leila's jacket shut, looking her over. 

"Do you have everything you'll need for the trip there and back? Did you pack your own things?"Derek asked. Leila nodded at him, looking up at him. 

"You've already asked me that,"Leila told him. 

"I just wanted to make sure....your phone. Do you have that?"Derek asked. Leila rolled her eyes and pulled it out of her jacket pocket. He nodded. "And you have my number...alright." His eyes slid over to Charlie, who was sending him a hard. A growl rose up in his chest. Damn I don't want to leave her with him, he thought. Leila moved and grabbed his chin, turning his face back towards her. 

"I'll be fine,"She insisted. He sighed and gave her a soft look. He moved, pulling her to his chest. Derek rested his chin on the top of her head. She wrapped her arms back around him. "You're like a worrying mother." Derek rolled his eyes. He looked back at Charlie. Charlie sneered at him and Derek's eyes narrowed. 

"You will keep her safe,"Derek thought in their private link. Charlie frowned hard. 

"Yes, Alpha." 

Derek pulled away from Leila and looked down at her one last time. He moved and kissed her on the forehead. She blinked in surprise as he pulled away and backed up. She touched her forehead and watched him walk away. Leila sighed and turned, walking over to the van. 

"He's sure changed his tone,"Charlie muttered. Leila shrugged at him. He slid the door to the van open, allowing her to enter. She climbed in and he followed after her, plopping down in the seat next to her. Nicholas and Aaron turned around. 

"Are you ready, Luna Leila?"Nicholas asked. Leila nodded at him. She looked at Aaron. 

"I've programmed the GPS,"he told her. He turned back to the front. Charlie slid the door shut beside him and Nicholas started up the car. Everyone buckled their seat belts up, watching out the van windows as Nicholas started to drive away. Leila watched out the back window, making sure that no one was following them. When they got on the highway, she sighed and relaxed in the seat cushion. Charlie nudged her. 

"So, that whole thing with you and the King. Did he take back his rejection?"Charlie asked. Leila gave him a surprised look. She nodded. His brow furrowed. "Thought so." Charlie turned his gaze back to the front. Leila frowned hard. Is everyone really right? Does Charlie have an interest in me? She wondered. She sighed hard and turned back to the front. She leaned forward. 

"Aaron, this lake. Why exactly is it abandoned?"Leila asked. Aaron hummed. He closed the book that he'd opened up. 

"It's just outside of my hometown, so I'm familiar with the story and the area. The story is that apparently a girl drowned in the lake because something pulled her down,"Aaron told her. She gave him a surprised look. "Chleo was there that day, and said it did look like something pulled her down but there's no evidence it's true. Everyone's too scared of the waters there...coincidentally they call it "Lunatic's Lake". The waters are supposed to make people go crazy." Leila blinked. She hummed and leaned back. 

"That's weird,"Leila told him. Aaron shrugged. "What's it's real name?"

"Lake Lorelei." Leila frowned. A weird name for a lake, huh? She thought. She sighed hard. After a moment, she spoke again.