Chapter Fourteen: Parents

By the time Friday came, news of the dance celebration that the school was throwing had reached Leila's ears. She wasn't really looking forward to it, but found out it was on a Saturday. Gina had informed her that today, she was going to her parents house. To have a serious discussion with them. They left that morning, Nora insisting on going with her. 

Leila sat still as they pulled up the driveway to her house. She swallowed, noticing the neighbors staring at the car. It had been weeks since she'd been home, and she'd grown accustomed to the way her school ran. Being out near humans, she was almost overwhelmed by the strange scents surrounding her. Nora followed quietly behind her as she headed up to the house. Leila stood still, scared to knock on the door. Nora gently clapped her hand on Leila's back. Leila glanced at her. 

"Nora..."Leila murmured. Nora smiled at her. 

"I've got your back, Lei,"Nora told her. Leila swallowed, her eyes turning back to the house. She rose her hand up, knocking on the door. It took a moment before the door opened. Leila stared in shock as she realized it was her mother. Her mother wasn't in the best of health, and you could tell by her appearance. She had bags under her eyes, and on her jaw there was a large bruise. Her mother seemed a little skinnier, as if she hadn't been eating. Her hair was pulled back in a low ponytail, and she wasn't dressed in her usual business clothes. Leila's eyes went wide. Her mother's eyes went wide as well. 

"Leila..."She spoke. A huge grin spread across her mother's face. She swung the door open further, pulling Leila into her arms. 

"Mom...What happened to you?"Leila breathed, hugging her back. She spotted that the house was a wreck on the inside. Footsteps ran down the stairs and Leila spotted her brother standing there. He stared at her and then sighed, running down the rest of the way. He embraced both his mother and sister in a giant hug. "Anakin.." 

"I'm so glad you're alive,"Anakin muttered. He pulled away, giving her a serious look. Leila blinked, looking between the two women. He didn't even notice Nora standing behind Leila. His hand gripped Leila's wrist. "Come in." Leila blinked. Her mother and brother pulled her and Nora in, shutting the door and locking it. 

"What's happened? What's going on?"Leila asked. Anakin sighed hard. Her mother gave her a sad smile. 

"I'm sure you'd like to sit down,"Her mother murmured. Leila gave her family members a confused look each. Nora was confused too, her hand moving and grabbing Leila's other wrist. Her mother's gaze slid to Nora. "Your friend?"

"Ah--yeah, Mom. This is my best friend, roommate, and Beta, Nora Adams,"Leila told her. Her mother nodded and smiled. 

"Beta. Right, Gina said you were marked an Alpha." Leila was lead to the living room, sitting on the couch. Broken glass was swept up closer to the wall. Several picture frames were on the coffee table, the glass broken out of them. Leila's eyes went wide. What is going on? She wondered. Her eyes traveled across the room. There was a fist sized hole in the wall, and a crushed part of the wall on the opposite wall. Leila gazed at it in surprise. Her eyes slid back to her mother. 

"I was....Mom, what happened here?"Leila asked. Her mother sat down in the arm chair, a breath releasing from her lungs like she was deflating. Leila blinked in surprise. Tears began to leak from her eyes. 

"Your father...he's started his drinking again,"she spoke. She took a deep breath, wiping her tears away. Anakin stood off to the side up against the wall, his arms crossed. His eyes were cast away, anger evident on his face. Leila's eyes went wide. "He went insane about two days ago...and we haven't seen him since. He ran out." Leila sat still for a moment. She swallowed, looking down. She took a breath, blinking fast.