Chapter 23

I ran my hands through my hair, wincing as my fingers caught on some knots. I guess Gabriel had enough that he waved his hands in the air. "Stop. You're making it worse."

I sighed, frowning at him. "come on in."

Gabriel and Luke ran inside, disappearing around a corner. North and Silas smiled at me before following the others inside. I looked at the others. Nathan, Kota, Victor, Sean, and Mr. Blackbourne were still standing around my bike, making me realize that they were probably looking at the message on my bike. Wrapping my arms around my stomach, I made my way towards them. Kota saw me coming towards them, offering me a sad smile.

I smiled softly at him, stepping between Sean and Nathan. Nathan was staring at silver lettering on my bike. I touched his arm, and blue eyes locked onto mine. He frowned. "We left you, made you feel unwanted, yet you became stronger."

Sean frowned, looking between us and my bike. "What does it say?"

Mr. Blackbourne answered softly. His gray eyes stared into mine, searching for something in my gaze. "It says, 'I let go. You let go a long time ago, and I realized that it was time for me to do the same. I will never forget you for you have made me stronger.' "

I gazed at him. "I've never forgotten any of you but I also have never forgotten what you guys have put me through." A lump in my throat appeared at the emotions that coursed through me, but I swallowed and looked away. "Let's go in."

I walked away, hearing them trailing after me. When I walked inside, I smiled at the scene. Luke, Gabriel, and Ryker were conversing softly in a corner while Silas and North, who was glancing at them in suspicion, were on the sofa, flipping through channels. When we came through the doorway, Ryker smiled at me and walked over. "So we can either cook or order pizza or something. What sounds good to you?"

I smiled. "I wasn't planning on cooking so we can order something."

As Ryker went to order some food, I sat in a chair. Silas, North, Victor, Nathan, and Sean were squeezed on the couch while Mr. Blackbourne, North, and Kota were in the other side chairs. I laughed silently. I was glad that the Nightingales had enough seating otherwise many of us would have to sit on the floor. When Ryker came back in, he came near me, lifting me up and placing me in his lap sideways.

Sean drawled, "So, Sang, when did your throat heal?"

I smiled at him. Always the doctor. "It was healed around the time we finished Ashley Waters."

Looks were shared around the group but I ignored what they were saying to each other. "So what are you guys doing now?"

Victor smiled. "I got accepted in the music program and computer science at the college in Charleston. Ever since my parents no longer have a control over me, I regained my passion for music."

Kota spoke next. "Most of us are going to college. I'm going for engineering."

Nathan rolled his eyes. His twinkling eyes met mine and mouthed silently the word "nerd." I smiled, knowing he was being playful. "I'm going for business degree although I'm wanting to be a martial arts instructor."

Sean winked at me. "I'm working part-time at a doctor's office. The doctors that hired me are Academy that didn't want the too long nights at the main hospital."

North grunted before speaking. "I'm going for a degree in business too."

Silas smiled happily. "I'm going for a bachelor's in science. My dad wants me to take the plumbing business over but I'm not ready for that yet."

Mr. Blackbourne spoke quietly. "I'm dealing in some real estate but am also thinking about taking some refresher courses."

Luke perked up when it was his time to talk. He flashed me a smile. "I'm working at a model agency, but I'm also going for a degree in culinary arts."

Gabriel smiled. "I'm going for a degree in fashion and interior design and foreign languages."

Silas spoke after Gabriel. "What about you, Sang?"

Ryker's chest rumbled before I spoke. "I have already graduated with a degree in nursing and in financing."

Wide eyes looked at me. To make it worse, Ryker started to laugh loudly. I elbowed him in the stomach, feeling my face redden. "After you guys left, I immersed myself in studying, training, and music. I had to stay busy else I'd probably go crazy with nothing to do."

Solemn looks surrounded me. The room seemed to fill up with sadness that it seemed as if was starting to choke me. Suddenly Gabriel clapped, turning all the attention to himself. An evil grin spread across his face, and his blue eyes locked onto mine. "Who's up for some games?"