Ch.5 It Begins

-Your pov

I already knew it was going to happen, but I wasn't expecting it to happen the next day after I had lunch with Helen. I was already getting paper thrown at me whenever the teacher wasn't looking. I didn't really care much. I still have support from Helen in school and my other friends outside of school. The notes were fairly easy to ignore so I didn't mind too much. I found it pathetic that no one had the guts to say it to my face. I could feel all eyes on Helen and I whenever we walked down the halls to classes. Some avoided us like the plague, others would talk quietly amongst each other. Some followed close behind us waiting to strike. Helen constantly tried to convince me to avoid him before it gets worse, but I'd rather have this than spending all of my high school years alone here. He reluctantly sat next to me during lunch and begged me to stay away from him. I responded with the same few words I'd tell him every time he asked. It grew quiet between us for a moment. Hopefully Helen understands that I'm not going anywhere.

"You're stuck with me Helen. I can be pretty stubborn sometimes." I finished before Helen scoffed a little and smiled.

"So I noticed." He replied back making me laugh a little.

"You lovebirds enjoying your little date?" A voice said from behind us. The smile on Helen's face immediately faded. I paused and turned around to face my classmate.

"You jealous, Gage?" I said as my eyes pierced his. Gage seemed taken back by my reply. He turned away from me and looked at the back of Helen's head. Obviously thinking that he'd be an easier target.

"Your little girlfriend has more balls than you do." He said as the smirk grew back on his face. I harshly grabbed his arm and made him look back at me.

"If you want yours to stay attached then you'll leave us alone." I replied. Gage sighed furiously before walking away to his table. I watched him sit before turning back to my "lunch".

"I didn't see you as someone very tough with how quiet you were last year." Helen commented making me smile.

"I get that way when it comes to friends." I replied before Helen smiled. It didn't go away even when he was eating. I couldn't help but smile as I turned back to my food. Suddenly I felt something hot, cold, wet, and slimy fall down my head and back making me gasp from the pain and shock. Someone dumped their lunch on me. Helen looked at the bastard behind me in shock and immediate anger as the cafeteria burst out in laughter. I shook from the hot food continuing to burn my back. The cold food and milk was the only thing soothing the pain as it soaked my shirt. I couldn't get myself to look and see who dumped their tray on me. I refuse to let them see me possibly cry. I simply stayed frozen and waited for them to leave. I couldn't decide if the tears forming in my eyes were from pain or the shear embarrassment as the laughter continued to echo in my ears while Helen wiped the food off my back. I could see him in the corner of my eye take off his jacket before he grabbed his napkin. I felt him dab it on my back in an attempt to dry my shirt before he put his jacket on my shoulders to hide the mess.

-Helen pov

"Thanks." She whispered before everyone stopped laughing and returned to eating.

"It'll be difficult, but try to ignore them." I whispered back. She took a deep breath and put her arms through the sleeves before eating. I returned to my lunch shortly after, occasionally glancing at the tears threatening to fall down her face. I finished my lunch and got up to put my tray away. I couldn't keep myself from glaring at the bastard responsible for Y/n's sadness. No doubt a friend of Gage. Suppose he didn't have the nerve to do it himself after Y/n's remark. I briefly snapped out of my trance from the sound of the school bell. I felt my blood boil more as they turned and looked at me before they wandered off to their classes. I looked around to see Y/n nowhere in sight. It's best to take advantage of the time and empty hallways that I now have to slip the note into Y/n's locker. Multiple thoughts clouded my mind as I closed the locker door. It should be me in Y/n's situation. Not her. It hurt to see her paying the price for being a friend to me. Gage and his friends are unaware of the price they'll have to pay, and how soon the painter will come to collect what is due from them.