Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"But if you never try you'll never know just what you're worth” -Coldplay

Leave.

That was the only word Sienna’s messed up brain was processing as both her mother and Mrs. Ruth stared at her expectantly. They were waiting for her to say something. Sienna knew that but she was too in shock to find words to say. Why didn’t anyone consult this with her? Did they assume she wanted to leave? Why didn’t anyone bother to ask her? This was her life they were talking about for God’s sake. She was almost eighteen, practically an adult yet they had completely excluded her from making the decision. So she was sane enough to go out into the world but crazy enough not to be able to decide? That was totally unfair! She thought as she realized she sounded like a whiney teenager but then again she was one after all.

“She must be too excited to speak,” suggested Mrs. Ruth as if she knew what was going through Sienna’s head.

“Yes, that’s understandable. She’s been locked up in here far too long. It’s time to go out and see the world darling. Go on and pack your things. I’ll be waiting here for you,” her mother ushered her out of the room.

Sienna obediently followed behind nurse Jess. She was on auto pilot and too absorbed in her own head to notice anything around her.

They don’t even want you here, a voice snickered.

Do you see now? The only ones who accept you are us. You belong here with us forever, another explained.

Leave the earth world and come join us for good. You’ll have everything you need here, another sharper voice said.

Sienna, Sienna, Sienna….over and over she hear her name being shouted in a hundred different voices. It was not until she felt an earthquake shake her out of her head that she came back down to reality. She glanced at her surroundings and slowly her ears tuned back in to find that nurse Jess had been shouting her name over and over again.

“Sienna!” she shouted now in a panic.

“Hmm?” she said sounding disoriented.

“Are you alright? Where are you?” she asked looking into the patient’s grey eyes.

“I-I’m in my room,” Sienna replied cautiously. She always asked her that when Sienna blanked out and went away. The nurse started asking that ever since that time she had snapped Sienna out of a daze but she hadn’t actually returned from her world fully yet. Her body was present but her mind was elsewhere and the nurse had freaked out.

“Good. Okay. Do you want me to help you pack your things? I think your mom is in a rush,” she offered. Her mother in a rush? Understatement of the year, more like always at Speedy Gonzalez pace, Sienna thought sarcastically.

“Sure thanks,” and just like that her blank out was forgotten and they began to pack. She ended up fitting all of her belongings into two suitcases. She never thought her life’s possessions would be summed up in a pair of luggage. It made her think how insignificant she really was. She was just a tiny grain of sand in a beach. This beach wouldn’t miss her when she was gone. It probably wouldn’t even take notice.  Of course the grains of sand by her side might but they’d get over it fast and another would probably replace her. One grain more or one less wouldn’t affect the big picture. It would be one more problem off everyone’s shoulders.

They let her say goodbye to Genine before she left and to all the nurses and the Doc. The Doc was more than a little surprised to see her go. She could tell he thought she wasn’t ready. For once she agreed with him. But he didn’t say much except wish her well and bid her goodbye. He gave his patient a big hug and a happy smile. How could they think she was ready to face the world when her shrink didn’t even think so? Didn’t he know her better than anyone? Oh well. It wasn’t like she had a say in this anyways.