Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"Oh, no, what's this? A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle," -Coldplay

Breen was dead. Time was running out. Medication was running low. Patience was wearing thin.

Dr. Lucian was confused. Nothing was making sense. His friend and co-worker was dead and he was being threatened. He didn't know who was behind Breen's murder and he didn't know who was out to get him. He didn't know where to get more of the specific ingredient he needed for the production of the new medication. He found himself questioning his life's work and purpose. Lucian's life was falling apart.

He also found himself worrying over the patients. Now that Breen was dead, there was no one to report back to Lucian about each patient's wellbeing. So many things were going wrong. Lucian was worried about his family too. He had abandoned a family for his job so many years ago that he doubted they even thought of him anymore. However nothing in the world could make him forget them. He had left a beautiful, loving wife and a son behind all for the greater purpose. Now he questioned if the greater purpose was worth all the sacrifices he had made. If he could turn back the clocks of time, he'd go back to a time when he was happy with his family. He would have made different decisions had he known the outcome of the choices he had made.

However the past was gone and now he had to live with the product of the seeds he had planted.

Lucian had a plan. He couldn't just sit in his office and wait. He had to do things himself now if he wanted results. His investigation depended on the trustworthy feedback he received from Breen. Now that Breen was gone there was no one else he could trust. He had to take matters into his own hands. He had to find out who had killed Breen, for what purpose, who was after Lucian himself and what was going on with the patients. He wasn't sure if the boss would be happy or not but he was going to pay a visit to the patients himself.

He had notified his secretary of his short absence and had left the boss a letter informing her what he planned to do. He had told his secretary to deliver it to her after he left, that way there was no chance of being stopped.

He was packing his things, organizing his papers and getting ready to leave. He had everything set. All he needed to do now was dial a taxi and exit the building without calling any unnecessary attention to himself because he needed time. He grabbed a hat, sunglasses and a large coat to disguise himself a bit. The only person he had told of his plan was his secretary because he needed someone on the inside to know what he was doing in case something happened to him. Yet he had avoided telling her where exactly he was going. She had been sad to see him leave but had cheered up when he'd told her she would get an extended paid vacation over the holidays.

The doctor packed his laptop, closed his brief case and unplugged the cheap disposable phone he had bought for his trip from the wall. The only person who had his new number was his secretary.

Lucian took hold of his briefcase and heard a honking outside the window of the building. He looked out and spotted the yellow cab waiting for him. He left the office and took the elevator down. He was thankful he hadn't bumped into anyone he knew on the way out. He exited the building successfully and entered the taxi cab.

"Where to, sir?" the cab driver asked looking at him through the rearview mirror. Lucian's reflection started back at him.

"Oak Wood High School in New York City."

********************************

"Scar?" Sienna asked in doubt. She had suspected her but she just couldn't face that kind of betrayal. She hated the thought of her best friend hurting her that way for no particular reason.