Chapter 23 : Rollercoaster

"Heroes always get remembered, but you know, legends never die."

- Emperor's New Clothes, Panic! At The Disco.

~~~~~~

"To tell you the truth, Shisui was recommended to be a Chūnin a week after the Exams." Naruto said bluntly, after his argument with Boruto.

"What?"

Was the word that every genin expressed, their brows raised and jaws dropped. Except Shisui, he knew.

"Nii-chan? It's true?" Akane asked.

Shisui lowered his head down momentarily and then turned to his sister with a smile.

"Yeah."

"Why? You could've been a Chūnin all this time."

"Well, didn't we promised to be promoted as Chūnin together? Besides, I think it was unfair when all of you have showed the same levels of capabilities that I have in the exams." Shisui said.

This made Minako smile, she was proud.

"And I don't want to be seen as a favorite."

"Well, there will be a Chūnin Selection Conference soon. Everyone has a chance to be promoted." Shikamaru said.

"Oh that's good, right? Nii-chan. Maybe you'll be selected.." Akane said.

"Yeah.." Shisui answered unenthusiastically.

Naruto noticed his nephew's lack of enthusiasm, so he abruptly changed the subject.

"Now! I called all of you here to let you know that, your teams will work together from now on until I say so. Although, team's 7, 9 and 10 will undergo separate missions and/or maybe group missions, everything you guys do is connected and which will hopefully help Nee-chan's current mission."

Some of the genin's mouths opened in excitement. I'm not saying it's Boruto and Sarada but, it was evident that all the team's were pumped.

"Which also means that, all of you are under her responsibility including your sensei. And uhm... what was that again, Shikamaru?" Naruto asked while scratching his head.

"You guys will either report immediately to your sensei or directly to Minako-san. All of you will start tomorrow and.. I think she has something to give for everyone?" Shikamaru said then he looked at Minako for confirmation.

"Correct! But that's for tomorrow too." Minako happily smiled.

"Oh! Almost forgot, Sakura asked me a favor to uh... borrow Akane and Shikadai for today, well.. if you guys don't mind.." Naruto said.

"What for?" Shikadai asked.

"Well, I don't mind. I enjoy spending time with Sakura-oba-chan when she's not angry or frustrated.." Akane said.

Both Naruto and Sasuke chuckled slightly, "Well she won't be, that's for sure." Naruto assured. "She just needs a few helping brains and hands in the hospital-"

"Wait...I have to work with him?" Akane asked whilst pointing to Shikadai, who just rolled his eyes.

Naruto nodded. "I guess.."

"And as if this day can't get any worse.." Akane huffed as she crossed her arms.

"What a drag.." Shikadai said to himself. Unfortunately, Akane heard it.