Jasper

When Alix has me brought into his tent, he tells the guards to untie me. His tent is so lavishly furnished it rivals the palace in Highcaster, with a huge bed and a table with two chairs, and big candelabras that stand upright on the floor on plush rugs. Incense burns and smokes in a corner, masking the smell of mud, horses, and unwashed bodies in the encampment.

"Tea?" Alix asks, pouring himself a steaming cup of the stuff. I shake my head wordlessly, rubbing at the marks left by the ropes on my wrists. My twin gestures to the table, where a luscious platter of meats, bread, and cheeses awaits. It must be his breakfast—far too much for one person to eat themselves. "Sit and eat."

I stay standing. "I'm fine."

Alix sighs as he sits at the table. "Suit yourself," he says. He sips his tea. "I can't guarantee the court will advocate on your behalf when we get home, so this may be your last chance to get some real food."

"I'm fine," I repeat.

Alix sets his tea down on the table and peers at me. "Why are you here?"

I swallow. "Because you attacked an innocent Navaarim tribe," I say.

Alix gives me a patronizing look. "What, and you're here to advocate for them?"

"I'm here to turn myself in," I reply. "So they don't suffer further for my sake."

"How heroic," Alix mutters.

The flap to his tent opens, and a soldier enters. He's a captain of some kind. He wears full plate armor, the royal seal's firebird etched in stark relief on his breastplate. He ignores me, but drops to one knee before the king.

"The troops are ready, Your Grace," he reports. "We await your orders."

"Good," Alix says. "Proceed. I want an update when you return."

"Yes, Your Grace." The captain bows to my brother and departs the tent without another word. I watch the captain go.

I look at Alix, about to ask him where he's sending whatever troops the captain spoke of, but I don't need to.

"I was very surprised to hear you had been found in the Navaarim territory," he says. "Especially after the bounty hunters I hired to find you lied to me." I frown. Does he mean Rahmi and Val? I hadn't thought about what they would tell Alix once they let me escape them, but I suppose I have my answer. "But I should thank you, really," Alix continues. "Because of you, the savages are very easy to locate."

My lips part, and my breath catches in my throat. Slowly the realization dawns on me, and my blood goes cold at the calm, satisfied look on my twin's face. My hands curl into fists.

"Alix," I say shakily. "You can't."

"I can, and I will."

"Please," I breathe. "Don't do this. They are the whole reason I'm here right now, giving myself up—"

"A valiant attempt," he snaps. "But need I remind you that you are a convicted traitor and a fugitive. Any who aids a traitor is also a traitor." He glances to the entrance to his tent and snaps his fingers. A pair of guards enter, one of them brandishing a pair of manacles. There's no use fighting them as they wrench my arms behind my back and slap the irons on my wrists.

"No," I say. "Please. Please, Alix, I'm begging you, don't hurt them."

My brother ignores me, sipping his tea. The guards begin to walk me out of the tent.

"Alix! Listen to me! Call off your Saints-damned troops, please!" I shout.

The king only looks at me from where he sits at the table. His voice is quiet when he says, "If only our father fought so hard for his life as you do for the savages'."

And his guards haul me outside to meet my fate in Highcaster.