Owin

Kieran has brought some of my things from home. He gives me my furred belt and epaulet that hook onto my leather bandolier, leaving them next to me as a peace offering. I pull the cloak that  Kieran has brought me more tightly around me, tucking my nose into the cream-colored fur.

He's smart to avoid me for now; he's off in the woods, hunting or sulking by himself. Nimia sleeps soundlessly, her head on my lap.

Jasper sits beside me in front of the fire we've lit to keep the chill at bay. "You okay?" he asks quietly.

I nod, looking at him. "I'm fine," I say. I breathe a heavy sigh. "He protected her out here for all that time."

"That's worth a lot."

"It's worth everything."

Jasper gives me a small smile. "She seems sweet," he says. "I don't think Kieran likes me very much."

I chuckle. "I didn't like you much when I first met you either."

Jasper gapes. "No shit," he says, feigning surprise.

I snort. "He doesn't trust you yet. I'll get him to come around."

*

The next morning, Kieran comes to me while we're eating breakfast. He tips his chin slightly, beckoning me to follow him. I sigh and stand. Jasper glances after me briefly.

He turns to my sister as I trail Kieran into the trees. "Nimia," Jasper says. "I hear you're an expert at archery. Can you give me some pointers?"

"Uh-huh!"

Kieran stops just out of earshot of the camp and turns to me. "Are you still angry with me?" he asks.

I sigh. "No, I'm not angry," I say gently.

Kieran smiles softly. He steps toward me and cups the back of my head. I roll up onto my toes and press my lips to his. I wrap my arms tightly around his waist, holding him to me.

He pulls away but doesn't let go of me. He buries his nose in my hair.

"I missed you," he breathes. He kisses the side of my neck.

"I missed you too," I say. "But—" I pull away from him. "Why did you leave the tribe? I asked you to stay with them."

"I know, Win," he stammers. "But you were gone for months. I had no idea what had happened to you." His hands go to my waist, and I loop my arms over the back of his neck.

I blow a long breath out between my lips. I pull my hair over one shoulder. "It's a long story. I tried to get a job for some money, but no one would take me on. So I stole instead." I shrug. "I wound up in southern Odrend."

"And where'd you find him?" Kieran asks, gesturing back to the camp where Jasper waits with Nimia.

"Highcaster."

"He can be trusted?"

"He and I have saved each other's lives many times," I say. "I trust him."

Kieran sighs. "Okay... but who is he?"

"He's a friend," I say simply.

"We should leave him behind," Kieran says. "I've found you, we don't need him anymore."

I shake my head. "No. He stays." Kieran frowns, and I cross my arms over my chest. "Besides, he has something that can help us."

Kieran scoffs a little. "Can't we take whatever it is and just go home ourselves?"

I scowl up at him. "We made a deal," I say. "I'm not going back on it, and neither is he." I sigh. "I know you don't trust him, Kieran—"

"Not a bit."

"But I do. So he's coming with us. No exceptions."

Kieran sighs, his mouth twisting into a frown. "Fine," he mutters after a moment. He takes my hand and pulls me to him. He presses his lips to my forehead and raises his free hand to tuck my hair behind my ear.

His hands pause, and I remember too late that my right ear is mutilated. Kieran's fingers find the missing tip, and he pulls away to move my hair out of his way. "What is this?" he breathes.

I don't meet his eyes. "Nothing," I say. "It was an accident."

Kieran's eyes narrow. "Did Jasper—"

"No," I say shortly, raising my eyes to his. "He didn't do anything to me."

Kieran's jaw tenses. "What happened while you were down south?" he asks.

"I..." I bite my lip. "A lot happened."

"Like what?" he presses.

I shake my head. "It doesn't matter."

Kieran takes my chin gently in his fingers and tilts my chin up when I try to turn away from him. "Win, please," he says. "Tell me."

I open my mouth to respond, and I have to force the words out. "I was attacked," I say. My voice breaks a little. "By an Odrendi man. He... hurt me."

Kieran practically vibrates with rage. "What happened," he growls. His hands go to my waist, his fingers curling into my shirt. He clutches me to him, and my hands rest on his chest.

"It's a long story."

"If that bastard laid a finger on you—"

"It wasn't Jasper," I snap. "He's not that kind of man." Kieran doesn't look convinced. "Besides," I continue. "The pig's ass that did it is dead now. I killed him myself."

Kieran takes a shaky breath. His hands tremble against my waist. His jaw clenches under his silver stubble and his eyes are hard. He presses a hard kiss to my forehead, and lets go of me, storming off into the trees.