Kieran

My bowstring creaks as I draw the arrow back, the fletching brushing my chin. I aim at a fox as it meanders through the underbrush, unaware of my presence.

A twig snaps behind me. I pause to listen, but no more sound reaches my ears. I shift my focus to the fox once more, adjusting my aim. I breathe deeply, and fire. The fox falls with a faint thump and I lower my bow.

I hear rustling in the brush to one side. I turn, trying to pick out its source. I'm deep in the Astrian woods, getting closer to the battle camps on the border every day. It could be and animal, but there could be a sentry on my trail.

I slowly cross to where the fox lays. I yank my arrow from its orange fur and hold it at the ready in my bow hand. Another twig snaps, and this time I see a shadow dart between and up one of the trees. Definitely not an animal.

I nock and draw the arrow in one smooth motion, aiming it at the trees where I saw the shadow. "Who's there?" I snap. "I know you're following me."

There is no more movement in the trees that I can see, but whoever is there is still watching. I feel eyes on me.

"Come out and I won't kill you," I growl. A cluster of branches shifts its leaves, and my aim flits to it. "Now!"

A branch snaps, and I hear a high squeal as someone falls from the tree. I rush closer and raise my bow to fire—and let my bow arm fall to my side with a heavy sigh.

"Nimia," I groan. "What the hell are you doing here?"

The little girl plucks leaves from the thick silver braid that crowns her head and falls over one shoulder. She grins up at me from where she sits in the grass. "I'm coming with you to get Owin," she says.

"Nim, go home," I snap. "It's dangerous, you shouldn't be here."

"It's dangerous for you too," she says as she stands. She dusts off her breeches. "But you're out here."

I sigh and wipe the fox's blood off of my arrow on the grass. I tuck it back into my quiver and loop my bow over my head so it lies across my back. "I've seen battle, Nim, you haven't. You could be killed out here."

She crosses her thin arms over her chest. "You think Owin's in trouble?"

"I don't know. She could be."

"All the more reason for me to help!"

"No."

"But—"

"Go. Home."

She rolls her eyes much like Owin would. "I'm staying and helping you find her," she says sharply. I sigh and kneel in front of her, so I'm looking up at her small face.

"You realize Owin will gut me if I let anything happen to you," I say softly. "I don't know if I can protect you out here."

"I know how to shoot," she says. "And I'm fast. I'll be careful."

"Nim—"

"I made it to you on my own just fine," the girl says sternly. "Let me help. Please, Kieran?"

I purse my lips together in a tight line as I look up into her face. The conviction in her features tells me that, like the sister who is so dear to me, she won't stop in her mission. If I send her home, she will undoubtedly follow me anyway. The least I can do is keep an eye on her, protect her as best I can.

"You do exactly what I say." Her face lights up, but I keep talking. "You hear me? Exactly. If I tell you to run and hide and stay out of trouble, you do it. Got it?"

She beams and nods, her braid bouncing wildly. "Yes!" she says.

I sigh and stand upright. I tug lightly on her braid and she giggles. She knows I can't say no to her.