CHAPTER FOUR

>>>>THE PRESENT<<<<<

(chapter two up to the previous chapter has been a recollection of the events leading up to chapter one. This chapter is the present andfollows up from chapter one, the encounter with the hideous looking killer.)

With all the energy and courage I could muster, I gave such a blow to the face and he backed away with a vicious cry. I quickly dashed out from underneath the bed and ran out.

Just as I turned the corner into the first compartment of the room where Danny's lifeless body was lying, a large axe whistled past my ear and crashed into the other wall by the side. I ran out of the room and into the passage, calling out to Sara and José at the top of my voice. No answer came. I was all alone.

The heavy footsteps still approached behind me. I couldn't exactly remember the lay-out of the motel so I just ran ahead and forced opened the first door I came across as I stumbled into the gloomy night.

The soft glow of the moon outside wasn't exactly enough to help my plight but I ran on, not knowing where I was going. The more I ran, the more the brutish footsteps approached. I glanced behind my shoulders and there he was, running swiftly after me with heavy footsteps, the reflection of the moon flashing upon the sharp blade of his lethal weapon. The blood in my veins rippled with apprehension and I increased my strides, running for my dear life.

The half moon was over the mountains. I figured that would be a good hiding place. I turned and ran in that direction. I must have been running for a good fifteen minutes, often stumbling against twigs and stumps, and was quickly losing strength. The monster of a man was right at my heels. I dashed into the woods and hid behind a large tree trunk. It became completely quiet all over. I must have lost the man, I thought. I heaved a sigh of relief and slumped down to sit for a while.
I had barely slumped when the blade of the man's axe whooshed above my head and into the tree trunk exactly where my head had been. He drew it out of the tree and was about to make another swing at me when I grabbed a piece of wood lying on the ground and swung it against my hellish enemy. The wood crashed against his axe just as he was swinging it and I dodged to the right. He threw a kick and his powerful right foot got me by the chest, sending me flying unto the ground. He walked briskly towards me and raised his axe. As swift as could be, I rolled to the left, the blade of the axe missing my head by an inch but not without grazing my shoulder.
On getting up on my feet I crashed into him, applying all the weight in me upon him. He grunted as we both fell to the ground arm in arm. He threw out a punch which caught me straight at my chin. I quickly pulled myself out of his arms to freedom as the blood began to flow out of my mouth down my jaw. His axe had fell just a yard away and I instinctively made for it.

With a heavy groan and much speed and alertness which was baffling for someone of his size and weight, he got up and caught me by the left heel, throwing me upon the ground again. I kicked back with my right foot, hitting him on the head. His grip on my leg loosened and I quickly freed myself. He was the first to get up and made for the axe. He picked it up and I felt my life had at last come to an end.

Still clinging unto little hope I braced myself for the worst. I got up to my feet and faced him. He swung the axe and it went past over my head as I crouched. Before he regained his balance, I launched my weight upon him more forcefully this time and he fell back, taking me along with him. I threw my left fist with all my might but he caught it in his powerful hands, twisting it till my wrist moved out of its joint. I wailed out in pain but he felt no remorse as he hit my back with his elbow. My eyes caught sight of a stone lying at arms length and I grabbed it, hitting the man across the face with it. He gave a horrid demonic shriek and let me go.

Standing up, I kicked him in the chest over and over again until he caught my leg, bending it until my knee dislocated. I fell to the ground and crawled away from him in pain. I heard him get up behind me. Picking up his axe that had again fallen to the ground, he approached me steadily. I couldn't get up to run, my right knee hurt as hell so I crawled on. He still came after me in short heavy strides. Crawling proved futile as he stood with one foot upon my back. Just as he lifted his axe, my hand felt something on the ground. It was a long wooden stake with a sharp broken end. Summoning the last strength in me and with a loud cry, I turned around and drove the stake right into his chest. He wailed loudly, took a step back and fell on his knees, and then slumped to the ground lifelessly.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I crawled towards him and for the first time, saw his face clearly. Part of his upper lip had rotted away, exposing part of a brown set of teeth. At the centre of his hideous discoloured face was a small pointed nose which seemed to have been glued to the face. Above it were two set of large eyes of which one was completely black. His head was bald and to the left of his forehead was a scar. The scar!

How in the world did the cheerful old José turn into something so horrid? I was horror struck. It was the very same scar. Yes, no two people could have exactly the same scar at exactly the same place. The trees around began to spin... My strength was failing me.

*********************

I hope you're enjoying the story. Do not forget to leave your vote or comment. Thanks