The eyes I knew narrowed, and I flinched on instinct. Sure, he was a fair distance away, but if my suspicions were correct, that wouldn't matter.

"A concerned friend." His voice was clipped as he eyed me.

"We've never met."

"I didn't say I was your friend, Nephilim."

Do not panic. No weakness.

"You claim to be Blessed, and you certainly seem to be...but my little brother was always too smart for his own good. I can't trust that. Surely you understand?"

"I don't know what you're talking about! If you knew a thing about me, you'd know there's no way I could be blessed!" I cried, desperately trying to make him understand. "But I am no threat to you, I swear it."

The male snorted. "Where have I heard something similar? Oh, yes," his lips peeled back from his teeth, "when Michael looked me in the eyes a millennium ago and told me that the rumors weren't true, that he'd never spread such lies about me in Heaven."

My toes curled in my boots. "You're the devil."

"To some," he admitted, inclining his head. "To you? Very possibly."

I had the distinct feeling this interaction was not going so well for me.

"I've never met you before," thank creation, I added silently, "so why do you hate me so much? I know my siblings are...vile, but they were made to be so. You want to kill me, that's obvious. I just don't understand why."

His jaw clenched, and before I could back away, he was in front of me, nostrils flaring. My blood ran cold. My father had never moved so fast...and my father was the strongest of the archangels. Such a thing wasn't possible.

"My brother, your father, did unspeakable things to my mate, and thousands of others. And I know of your...occupation. I would cease speaking so innocently, Nephilim. There is much blood on your hands."

I jerked back before I could stop myself.

He's right. You're nothing but the child of a monster. A cold-blooded killer.

I could say nothing to that. I had no defense for the truth.

A heavy sigh came from above. "But I have no choice. I cannot kill you. Marcus...wouldn't take kindly to it. But make no mistake, put one toe out of line and my father's wrath will seem like a toddler's tantrum."

"I don't want to go with you!" I pleaded, finally finding the courage to again meet his eyes, "I want to be left alone."

He met my eyes with a cold stare. "Even if you had a choice in the matter, I think we both know that you're not going to be left alone. Whether it be by my family," he paused, "...or yours."

Helplessness threatened to drown me. "But-"

"Do not presume I am giving you any power here," the devil interrupted on a growl that made my hair rise. "Your life belongs to me now, Nephilim. And I've decided to let you live."

Then he reached out and grabbed me by the arm, a grip not painful but about as immovable as an iron manacle. I thrashed and twisted like a worm on a hook, but from the beginning I knew it was futile. Then, blackness crept over my vision in a process I knew all too well.

I knew the instant we arrived that this was another dimension. I could feel it in my bones, and it sent me into a panic.

"Get your hands off me, you-you jerk!" I ordered, kicking up my feet and trying to reach the knife I had hidden in my boot. I felt my fingers brush the hilt but was unable to get a grip on it. I wanted to scream in frustration.