She put on a lilting voice with a clear invitation in the tone. "You can come in. I know you're watching me. Let me see your face."

The king stepped inside. He looked striking in his outfit and Athénaïs suddenly understood Louise's fascination of what life could be like with him if he weren't king. Without the courtiers swarming him, he was less intimidating to approach despite the air of shy confidence enveloping him. Here there was no one else to interrupt them or vie for his attention. It was just the two of them, with heated stares as they drank each other in. With the cool air licking at her skin, she was all too aware of his presence and her pathetic towel.

"Good evening, madame." He bowed and Athénaïs couldn't help but to let a giggle slip.

With one finger she motioned for him to come closer. "Is there something more you'd like to see?"

His gaze roved her frame, but he wouldn't make eye contact. A light blush colored his cheeks. A rush of power washed over Athénaïs. To make a king blush, such an intoxicating feeling! She lowered her voice and put on her best come hither look. "All you need to say is please."

His mouth flopped open and then closed. "Can't find your tongue?" She laughed and the king's blush deepened. "Is this what you want?" She dropped her towel and stepped toward him. Her pulse quickened as his gaze darted over her. His dark eyes smoldered with lust as he watched a drop of water from her hair trickled between her breasts.

"Thank you," he whispered.

She held out her arms and fluttered her eyelashes. "Aren't you going to come to me?"

Shaken from his reverie, he crossed the room in three strides and pressed his mouth to hers with gentle tenderness. He wrapped his arms around her and for one wonderful minute in time nothing existed in Athénaïs's world except the king. Lost in the warmth of him, she wondered why she'd ever feared this.

The king pulled away with a gasp. "I must have you tonight. I cannot wait any longer or I'll go mad."

Athénaïs traced a finger over his cheekbones. "If you must then you will. But first you have to tell me something." She slid her hands over his sides.

"What is it?" He titled his head, watching her every move.

"Did you enjoy the sight?"

"Yes. It was the most beautiful sight of my life." He bent his head to kiss her neck. He ran his hands up her sides and she let a low moan escape her. "Be mine. I need you."

She reached up and grabbed one of his hands to clasp in hers. She'd thought she'd feel dirty and used becoming his whore, but her body was too alight with longing to feel anything but desire. "There is nothing else I want. I would be the happiest woman in all of France if I got to be yours." Her heart picked up speed. Gabrielle would have told her not to say what she was about to say. To not risk the chance of losing the king. But if she was going to be his mistress, she needed to know if the king's favor would do her any good or if it would doom her to her husband's wrath. She couldn't lose her head completely yet. She let go of his hand and stepped back with a sigh.

He raised his eyebrows in alarm. "What is it?"

"There is something standing between us that would prevent us being together if given the chance. I don't want it to keep us apart."

"Tell me what it is." He closed the gap and took both of her hands in his, giving them both a gentle squeeze.

"It's my husband." She turned her puppy eyes on him. "He is fighting on the southern border, but he doesn't have the money to upkeep his company as commanders ought to. I fear he will come back and when he finds out about us he'll order me far away." She stroked his cheek. "I can't stand the thought of being sent away from you." Seeing the pain in his eyes, she leaned forward, resting her head against his chest. "I wouldn't be able to bear it." The steady rhythm of his heart beat next to her ear. Afraid of his silence, she tightened her hold on his chest, bunching his shirt in her hands. Maybe she should have asked her sister for advice after all. To have come so close and lose the king over such a stupid mistake, it was an embarrassment she'd never live down.