I was midway into University now, 2 years and still majoring in creative writing. No mid-life crisis yet. Expression was my healing mechanism, and it collided seamlessly with my poetic nature.

It was decided, Stella and Benjie and I decided to go to Stanford University together, which was 3 hours outbound. Benjie decided to pursue being a psychologist, he has strong intuition and a calming presence, it was also a means to unshackle himself and self-diagnose/heal the broken pieces within him. He still hadn't told me his story, but one day he will.

We all agreed that it was best to escape into a different world of people...

Away from the familiar...

It was exciting in beginning, despite my heartache I felt alive, with a drop of pain, but that was ok. It was all apart of living, breathing.

I didn't want to see any familiar faces, or risk encountering Michael.

My soul was not with me, I was aware of that.
But my body, my body was my teacher, and I know I had a lot to learn.

I was starting my third year of university, and we had a course to study the Shakespearean language.

My phone was buzzing, I had to put the most infuriating alarm to wake up.

I jolted up, held my phone and slammed it into the wall that was right in front of me.

"Aaaaaaaah," Stella woke up screaming. Her screams dimmed down after she put the pieces together. Her eyes disobeyed their kind nature. I could feel her glare burning holes inside of me.

"Aster, this is the last time! I can't take it anymore! One day I'm going to have a heart-attack. Calm the eff down when you wake up," Her teeth tightened with a fake smile.

"Now shoo, get ready, enjoy Shakespeare," she moved her hand as a gesture for me to get out of the room so she can have her beauty sleep.

It was 6:30am, my class was at 8. I had to prepare a poem about a tragic love story. Whether it was directed to someone, or generic. I didn't choose the latter.

I shuffled through my papers to find the poem, stuffed it in my bag. I wore my boyfriend jeans and found a crop top i recently bought with Stella, it was bright pink and it glittered on the edges.

I admit, I have officially become a woman of taste. All my clothing matched, I wore my pink adidas shoes, applied light pink eyeshadow and nude lipstick. I looked at myself in the mirror and felt amazing, I was in a good place.
Benjie usually knocked on my door every Monday morning and we would go have coffee and smoke a cigarette before he drops me off to class.

But this time, when I opened the door, his face was contorted and something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I whispered as I locked the door behind me. We walked in silence, and I could hear him heavily breathing.

"Can I ask you a question?"

I raised my eyebrow, "Ofcourse," I gently held his hand, reassuring him that it was ok for him to go on.

"Do you think about Mr. Vervain?"

My heart skipped a little beat as he gave me my coffee and lit me a cigarette, all while starting at me cautiously.

"Yes," where was he going with this?

"Let's say, if you saw him now, what would you do?"

"What is going on Ben??" I asked, furiously. I didn't know whether this anger was channeled towards his pointless questions, or the name that lingered seconds ago from his mouth.