Chapter 10

The day passed in a haze. I spent 6 hours attempting to avoid any possible encounters with Mr. Vervain. I reminded myself how insensitive I was when it involved the feelings of others. Anyone that bothered to bully me, or act nice, talk to me or any other social-interacting methods, I easily brushed off. Other than Stella, it was hard for me to allow anyone to touch the surface of the invisible walls that surrounded me.

I was surprised when I went out of my way to touch a person's surface, but I did, and it backfired.

I tried to fight the ache coming from my stomach throughout the day. Stella was absent today, she messaged me before role call sulking that she was down with a 'fatal' cold. Refraining from eating food was partially an investment towards saving for a packet of smokes. Sometimes, I felt dizzy and drained, which compelled me to buy half of a cheese and tomato sandwich to eat. I controlled myself because I was planning on walking to the tobacco shop and spending the last of my stashed money.

Peering at the last cigarette in the packet I contemplated whether I should waste my last one. The depression of my reality at the moment influenced my fingers to grab it. So I did.

My black hoodie shielded me from the painful breeze that managed to crawl up and touch my bones. My outfit was the same as yesterday, given the unlikely circumstances that led to spending a night under my teacher's roof.

I lit the cigarette and sat there welcoming the cold. It was hard to tell where the coolness had affected me, the wind or my heart?

After seeking out Ben, I resorted to presuming his absence as well. Despite his constant absence in school, I had a feeling he was a straight A student, and that only ever occurred to me when I noticed the smile on most of the teachers faces when he attended. Weird, I'd say, but that was the only explanation.

One more class, I chanted to myself while I strolled down to Mr. Vervains lesson.

I pulled out my strawberry lotion and quickly wiped my hands with it. Satisfied with the smell of strawberries and not cigarettes, I heard the bell and opened the door to Mr Vervain's classroom.

The atmosphere in this particular class decreased my nervousness a little and I whispered a small thank you to any superstitious entity that chose someone like me to aid.

After the room was filled, and everyone settled, I could tell Cecilia was angry that I stole 'my' original spot. I saw how her features were flawless, and her white teeth abnormally straight, no sign of crookedness.

Burying my self-conscious thoughts, I gave her a small smile. "Why hello there Queen bee, thank you for gracing us with your presence, you may take a seat now," Gesturing to the seat located near a perky, yet smart-shy Riley.

Cecilia released an unattractive puff, standing with her two hands on her hips. "Drop the act Ass-tee, why are you in my seat?"

Ignoring the nickname I was labelled with since my first day here, I started peeking around under the table, tracing my eyes up and down the small pedestals. I finally stood up, earning a smug smile from the witch in front of me. I smirked and checked my seat before sitting down "Sorry Seagul, couldn't find your name. Now shoo," I waved my hand. Beginning to get annoyed by the silence and stares from every boneless person in this class.

I heard her screech, clenching her fists. When she heard Mr. Vervain come in she held her head up high and settled angrily besides Riley. Poor girl. I felt guilty for throwing a wild dangerous creature her way, but I wouldn't hesitate to punch Cecilia if she tried to bully her.

I thought about Coach Zayn, and the classes I've been taking for the past 2 months. Our different skin colour never separated the friendship I worked so hard to form. His mean and intimidating demeanour only motivated me to get on his good side. After bickering, being nice and attempting to be humorous, I thought nothing could break or move this old man until I saw a glint of admiration in his eyes when I managed to kick the punching bag a further distance. It was an achievement for me since I spent a good 7 weeks strengthening my core and working out.