Chapter 9 - The Photo

"How was your walk?" Nathan figured that if he wanted to solve the mystery that was Danny Fong, a good first step would be getting Danny to talk to him.

Danny set the pasta bowl at the center of the table, "Good. You can serve yourself. What do you want to drink?" He turned towards the kitchen.

"Waters fine."

"Hows the project going?" Danny asked Sam as he left to the kitchen.

The rest of the dinner was mainly spent talking about their science project, in the between silences.

After dinner, Nathan was left in the living room, feeling awkward and out of place as he watched Sam and Danny wash the dishes. He had offered to help but was turned away. "We have a system." They had said.

His eyes scanned the house some more. There were several photos of the Fongs, he let his eyes linger on the women he assumed to be the mother. Her children resembled her a lot. He couldn't list an exact feature they shared. Their eyes and hair were a deep black, like their fathers, while hers were a rustic brown. Their hair was straight, her's curly. Physically, it was easy to argue they had inherited their father's features far more than their mothers. And yet. Looking at them together. There was something that screamed: we are her children. He couldn't peel his eyes away.

"You guys lived in Hawaii right?" Nathan said, staring at the photo. The photo itself wasn't very telling of its location. It was a photo of a small house, there were green mountains in the back, an intense blue sky. At the forefront, in the driveway of the house were Mr. and Mrs. Fong each carrying a little kid, Sam and Danny (Nathan assumed).

Danny and Sam turned to look at Nathan. Danny glanced at his sister before going back to the dishes.

"Yeah. Big Island." She said, drying off her hands and walking to him. "We lived there until I was about five. Then we moved to Kansas."

She stared at the photo some more, as if she hadn't thought about it. "I miss it. I can't remember why we moved."

"Probably dad's work. It's why we always move." Danny said as he turned off the faucet. He nodded towards the final dishes that needed to be dried off.