Chapter 27: Farewell Part I

Start from the beginning

My gaze shifted, and amidst the crowd, I spotted Coen's mom, cheering the loudest she possibly could. I reached the center of the stage and Principal Wells extended a hand, the flash of the camera capturing this moment in time forever.

Stepping down the stairs, I screamed as loud as a I could for Wesley, who was right behind me in line. The pride I felt for him mirrored the cheers that had echoed for me just moments before, and my screams turned into laughter once he stuck a pose in the middle of the stage.

We had conquered high school side by side. Miller strong.

I waited for Wesley at the bottom of the stairs, and once he saw me, he quickly swooped me into a hug, walking hand in hand with me back to our seats.

The auditorium buzzed with a crescendo of emotions as Principal Wells delivered the final speech, congratulating the senior class of Hollandale High. I sat among my fellow graduates, the air thick with anticipation and the weight of the occasion.

Principal Wells' speech resonated, a symphony of encouragement and wisdom that marked the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. The collective heartbeat of the senior class echoed through the auditorium, a harmonious cadence of shared experiences and individual dreams.

As the applause swelled, the atmosphere crackled with the energy of liberation. Caps were clutched in eager hands, ready to be tossed into the air in a symbolic gesture of transition. The moment hung in the air, so close to the finish line.

With a triumphant cue from Principal Wells, the room erupted into a cascade of flying black caps. The air filled with the percussion of cheers and countless graduation caps spinning through the air. And amidst the swirling caps, Coen's eyes found mine, a magnetic pull drawing us together in the midst of the celebratory chaos.

As caps arced gracefully through the air, he reached for my waist, pulling me into an embrace that transcended the ordinary. The world slowed in our timeless moment. The kiss was a celebration—a culmination of shared stories, challenges faced together, and the promise of a future entwined.

The caps began their descent, the air now painted with the laughter and cheers of the graduates. Coen and I, lost in the warmth of our embrace, felt the gentle patter of caps against our shoulders, a rain of possibilities showering us. As the last cap found its way back, Coen and I pulled away from the kiss, our eyes locked together.

Outside the auditorium, the air buzzed with the residual energy of the ceremony. I descended the steps, my family awaiting me, beaming with pride. Martha appeared, standing with them, a single red rose in her hands.

"Congratulations, Serenity," She spoke to me, handing me the delicate flower. "May this rose symbolize the beauty of your journey and the music you've added to our lives." I took the flower from her hands, pulling her into a gentle hug. "Thank you so much."

With the rose in hand, I turned to my family who enveloped me in a cascade of hugs. As the embraces unfolded, Nova quickly hugged me from behind, unable to hold back her tears. "Come on, let's get a photo with everyone." I suggested, beckoning all of our friends over.

Everyone gathered, Kenji quickly sliding to the back of the group since he was the tallest and least photogenic. Blair crouched down in the front, swinging her red hair away from her face. Wesley wrapped his arms around Nova, Dominic pretended to shoot a basketball, and Coen placed bunny ears behind my head as I smiled.

The perfect photo to remember forever.

As the photo session concluded, I turned my attention to Wesley. "Come on." We strolled away from the bustling group, find a quiet spot to talk. The years of shared laughter, disagreements, and unspoken understandings hung between us. Siblinghood can feel like the worst at times, but it will forever be the best.

"You remember when we were first adopted?" I asked, my voice a soft whisper, carrying the weight of the cherished memories. He nodded, a distant smile playing on his lips. "Yeah, it feels like a lifetime ago. We were two broken kids. Now look at us.

I softly smile, remembering young Wesley's unruly hair. I turn to him so he can understand the gravity of my words. "Some days you piss me off, other days you make me laugh so hard I could snot-out milk." He chuckles at the sentiment, turning his attention fully toward me.

"We fight, then we make up. You steal my food, and then you cook for me to make up for it. You've been my constant. My anchor. And there is no one else I'd want as a twin than you."

Wesley's eyes softened with emotional understanding as he reached forward for a hug. "I love you, sis. Forever."

As we walked back to rejoin the group, I notice Coen and Ella laughing in each other's company. I approach them, a sense of maturity and growth emanating from the unexpected encounter. "Hey Ella, can I borrow your phone to take a quick photo of you two?" I ask, a genuine smile softening my face.

Coen raises a brow and I nod. She hands me her phone and quickly steps back so her and Coen could take the picture together. As the shutter clicks, Coen and Ella share a farewell hug. A gesture transcending the complexity of the past relationship.

"Take care, Ella." She smiled, giving him a high-five. "You two!" As she walked away, Coen turned to me with a chuckle. "If someone had told me a few years ago that I'd be dating you and hugging my ex at graduation, I would've laughed."

I mirrored his laughter. "We've all come a long way, haven't we? We've matured into versions of ourselves we never expected." Coen's mom approached, a small bouquet of flowers in hand. The exchange of hugs and flowers became a ritual, and as we embraced she began to cry.

"I had always wanted to have a daughter. And when Coen told me the two of you were hanging out again I was happy for him. But now, that happiness has become my own. You are the daughter I always wanted. I am so proud of you and I am so grateful Coen has you." A soft tear escaped her eyes and my eyes threatened to do the same.

"That means the world to me. I am grateful for him too." Suddenly, Coen's voice cut through the heartfelt exchange. "Holy shit."

Both Coen's mom and I turned to follow his gaze, only to see his father stepping onto the sidewalk, approaching the three of us. The atmosphere shifted. A mixture of surprise, anger, and anticipation. Coen stepped forward, protectively wrapping an arm around me and gently pushing his mom away from his father.

His father hesitated for a moment before extending a small, carefully wrapped package to his son. Coen accepted it with a curious expression, unfolding the rapping to reveal a set of dog tags.

The metal tags gleamed in the sunlight, and Coen's eyes focused on the engraved names—his own and Carson's—alongside their respective graduation dates. A bittersweet wave of emotion washed over his face.

His father, a mix of regret and vulnerability in his eyes began to speak, "I had these made before Carson died. That one was supposed to be his but I... I think you should have it. He would've wanted you to have it."

Coen held the dog tags in his hand, tracing the engraved letters with his fingers. The weight of the metal carried the weight of unspoken apologies and missed opportunities. "Thank you," Coen said quietly, meeting his father's gaze. "I appreciate the gesture."

His father nodded, attempting a hesitant apology. "I know I can't change the past, Coen. I wish I could." Coen took a deep breath, acknowledging him. "Maybe someday we can figure things out. But today isn't that day."

There was a pause, a lingering acknowledgment of the wounds that needed time to heal. Coen continued, "Thank you for the gift. Drive safe, okay?" His father nodded, a flicker of understanding passing between them. Coen's expression softened with a hint of reconciliation—a door left ajar for a potential future connection. As his father walked away, Coen clutched the dog tags, a tangible reminder that Carson was indeed still here.