Extra: Anthony

My heart sank when I saw the arm of another male wrap around Lauren's waist.

I immediately remembered what Jason had told me around two years ago when I found out he was a werewolf. 

"When a werewolf turns of age, they find their mate. The person they're meant to be with. It's a very special bond, usually only broken by death," was what he said.

I figured she found him. The person she was meant to be with. Her soulmate.

My heart clenched painfully at the sight of the two together. At that very instant, all my hopes were crushed. I felt a burning in my eyes and knew I had to get out of there immediately.

I quickly left and paid for my stuff, taking a few deep breaths once I was outside. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and pushed back the tears I felt beginning to form. I'm such a crybaby.

But I couldn't believe I lost her. I lost the girl who was never meant to be mine.

"Anthony! Hurry the fuck up or we're gonna miss the movie!"

I opened my eyes and saw everyone in Jason's car looking at me. Ryan and David, who were in the back, were yelling at me to hurry up while Jason waited quietly from the driver's seat.

I walked to the black car with the bags in my hand. I threw the bags into the back through the open window.

"Ow," whined Ryan, "That shit's heavier than it looks, man."

I took my seat on the passenger's side. Once I closed the door, Jason immediately started the engine. With the two cracking jokes in the back and Jason's focus on the road, my mind began to wander to the simple past.

The first time I saw Lauren, she was a thirteen year old broken mess. She arrived at our house with ragged clothes and tired eyes. Carlie was looking for her hamster who ran away, when she ran into Lauren from her school. According to Carlie, she hadn't shown up to school for over a week; the whole time she had been out in the streets, wandering aimlessly. 

Meanwhile Carlie went to bring our parents and a change of clothes for her, I asked her why she didn't show up to school.

"I didn't want him to find me," she answered with a shaky voice.

I gently took her arm when I noticed a bruise. I analyzed it and noticed there was not only one bruise, but several on her arm. Some recent, other were a yellow color and looked to be older. She quickly pulled her hand back and attempted to hide them with her hands.

I felt terribly for this girl who stood before me, scared and bruised, likely from a parent.

Carlie arrived with a change of clothes and our parents.

Mom quickly ran to her and kneeled before her. She worriedly asked, "Oh, honey are you okay? Where are your parents?"

She was silent before quietly answering, "They're both dead."

Hearing her say this made me feel even worse for her. She must have been through a lot.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Who watches over you? I should call them immediately," mom replied.

When my mom said that, she jumped in fright.

"My, uh, uncle is not around right now. He's on a business trip." She said quickly.

Her uncle? He must be the one who made those bruises on her body. Hearing that made me angry. How could he do that to his innocent niece?

"Can she stay here?" Carlie asked, somewhat excitedly.