Chapter 6 - Mate

My parents died when I was little, so I was put under the care of my uncle. He wasn't my uncle by blood, but we were very close and it didn't matter that he wasn't my mother's real brother.

However, after he got rejected by his mate, he completely changed. He became cold and heartless. At first he would only yell at me, but he began hitting me as well, and he's tried sexually harassing me several times. Luckily, I've managed to escape every time. 

As a result, I've grown up not knowing much about my pack, and not knowing much about myself either. I don't know the names of my parents, or of any other relatives I may have. I also don't understand the whole concept of mates.

And here I am now, inches away from my mate, driven by lust and desire, yet not knowing what to do.

Our eyes were locked together, and time felt like it had stopped around us. All I could hear was the pounding of my heart, and all I could see was him. His scent was strong: So much that it was driving me insane. 

I stood frozen in place as he slowly lifted his hand to touch my face. He lightly brushed my cheek with his fingers, sparks igniting between us at the contact. Next thing I knew, he had pulled me into a hug. He held me as if I would disappear if he let me go. My body felt like it was on fire, and I instinctively wrapped my arms around him, hugging him back tightly. 

"You don't know how long I've been wanting to do this for. I've endured so much while waiting to finally have you in my arms." Daniel murmured against my cheek, causing shivers to run down my spine. 

I finally understand. I understand why he said what he said yesterday, and I understand why I felt sparks whenever we touched. It was all because he's my mate. 

My wolf was jumped at the joy of finding her soulmate. 

'We found our mate!' 

At that moment, in his arms, I felt complete. I wanted to stay like this forever. I wanted to kiss him and have him all to myself.. But I couldn't let that happen. 

My wolf's emotions mixed with my own, and for a while I let myself get caught up in the excitement. But when I started to think, I realized all the problems that lay ahead because he was my mate. 

I couldn't be with him knowing he liked someone else. That someone being Carlie, who likes him as well. The thought of them being together was enough to make my heart ache, but I couldn't do this to Carlie. She was the only family I had. 

I pushed him away, causing my wolf to whimper. I saw the hurt in his eyes, which made my heart break. 

"I.. I can't!" I cried out, then quickly turned around and ran down the hall while fighting back tears. 

My wolf howled in pain as I ran away from our mate. Our wolves yearned to be together, but that wasn't going to happen. I painfully continued down the hall. The further away I got from him, the more I wanted to run back to him and jump into his arms. 

Before I realized it, I was outside my classroom. I wiped my eyes and straightened up. I entered the classroom like nothing had happened. 

"Lauren? Late again? The bell rang eight minutes ago!" Mr. Castel said looking at me then back at his computer. 

I didn't reply and quietly took my seat and sat next to Carlie. She looked at me worriedly. 

"What happened? Do you feel sick?" Carlie asked as she placed her hand on my forehead. 

I blankly shook my head. I wasn't sick, just in a lot of pain. My wolf wasn't doing good right now, plus she was angry at me. 

'I want to be with mate!'