Chapter Seven - General Arthur

Azalea awoke in her cell again. Upon realizing this, she slammed her fists on the wall in frustration. Pain shot through her fists and she sighed as she propped herself up against the wall. The memories of the night before returned to her. She was angry about the situation she was in, but yet a part of her yearned to stay where she was - with the Queen.

This irritated her to no end, as the Queen had done nothing but hurt her since she had arrived. She should want to go home, but she didn't. Azalea did miss Taylor very much though. She wished that her closest friend could be here to talk to her, to help her make sense of her feelings. Suddenly, her cell door slammed open, causing her to snap her head up in shock. "Get up." An especially muscular guard stood in the doorway, sneering at Azalea in distaste.

Azalea stood up silently and followed the guard out of the room. She tried to force herself to be afraid, but deep down she knew that her increased heart rate was due to her anticipation to see the Queen again. She was angry at her, but Azalea could not shake away the urge to be near her. It brought a sense of comfort and belonging that she had never recalled feeling before.

The guard led Azalea up the stairs of the dungeon in silence, and she was shocked to realize that they were finally going to the ground floor of the palace. "Where are you taking me?" The guard did not answer and continued to walk. After the second flight of stairs, the guard unlocked an extravagant door that led to the vast palace hallways.

Azalea gasped at the chandeliers that hung in the corridors and the golden tapestries that covered the walls. The guard continued to walk and Azalea had to force herself to keep up. Finally, he stopped in front of a door and knocked before opening it and gesturing for Azalea to enter. Azalea raised an eyebrow in hesitation before walking in. The guard did not follow her in but shut the door behind her.

Azalea frowned and began to observe the room. It appeared to be an office, with multiple bookshelves that went from floor to ceiling. "Welcome." Azalea's head snapped up at the sudden sound. She hadn't noticed the man when she came in, but he stood next to the bookshelf on the far right.

He was tall and well-built, and he donned a blue suit. He began to approach Azalea, who matched his steps forward by retreating in the opposite direction. He stopped once he was 2 metres away from her. "I am General Fabian Arthur."

"I don't know who you are." Azalea began to inconspicuously look for a way out once she realized that it was not the Queen whom had requested her presence.

"I am the Queen's highest ranking general. You can leave after we've had a little chat." He said once he noticed Azalea's nervous glances around the room.

"What is there to talk about?"

"Your activities on the day of the attempted assassination."

Azalea groaned again and rolled her eyes. "I've told the Queen and the guards multiple times. I really don't know! I can't remember being there and I don't know what you guys are talking about!"

Before Azalea could blink, she was being thrown into a wall. General Arthur snarled. "Don't roll your eyes at me. Your lies may deceive everyone including her majesty, but I will not be fooled. You must be an enemy assassin."

Azalea's eyes widened. "Woah there. I told you that I know nothing about what happened that day. I was seriously just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why do you all insist that I was involved?"

The general's eyes narrowed. "You were found passed out, in the presence of King Adrian's men, whom as you know, is our enemy. If you were not with them, why did they spare you?"

"Why would they kill a random girl that they didn't know?" Azalea cried incredulously.

He slapped her roughly across her face. "Don't play coy with me, girl."