Chapter Twenty-Nine - Azalea's Vows

Over the next couple of weeks, Renée felt as if her life had finally began to return to normal, as normal as it could be anyways with the secrets that always seemed to surface in her mind at the most inopportune moments. She felt this gnawing guilt inside of her whenever Azalea and her would engage in any form of intimacy, whether it be a kiss or an embrace.

She attempted to assuage her guilt by being open with Azalea in every other way. She had stopped avoiding more personal questions from the girl and had even told her much about her own childhood. Azalea would still occasionally discuss her time in the other world, and as much as it perplexed Renée, she kept it to herself. She reminded herself that Azalea had chosen her, even though a part of her feared this was merely because she felt as though she had no home to go to.

Azalea had spoken much about how she often felt very much alone, even surrounded by family back home in the other world. Although Renee could not explain why she had these memories, she suspected it was something to do with the magic in between the borders of the realms. Azalea had no memories of her life as the princess.

Judging by some of the journal entries, which Renée could not resist going back to read in depth, Princess Eviana had had a special bond with her father since her mother had passed away, despite their limited time together because of his duties as king. More than anything, Renée feared that if Azalea knew that she had another family, her decision would change.

Over the last weeks, Azalea's magical abilities had also improved drastically. As an experiment, Renée had been training her on the spells that Proncess Eviana had mentioned mastering in her journal entries. It took Azalea very little time to grasp them again. It was a bittersweet feeling for Renée.

On occasion, Azalea had inquired about the journal, but Renée always responded that she was having some of the trusted generals take a look at it. Today was meant to be another scheduled lesson, but Renee felt as though she could not focus her mind. Despite that, she still really wanted to spend time with the girl, alone.

When Azalea woke this morning, she immediately spotted a tiny piece of paper and a single azalea on her nightstand. She reached for the note and opened it.

Meet me at the lakeside when you wake, my darling.

-R

Azalea felt all jittery, like she was a teenager going on her first date again. The Queen never failed to make her heart flutter. Every touch, every embrace made Azalea feel a sense of belonging that was both familiar and foreign. She also felt like Renée was finally letting her in, little by little. It was the small things that she learned, like that the Queen's favourite flower was a lily, and that Alden used to take her down to the lakeside as a child and that was the reason behind her fondness for the place.

Azalea set the note aside and quickly went to get dressed. Renée had taken the liberty in setting up a proper wardrobe for her that had selections for every occasion. She decided on a baby pink chiffon dress that reached her knees and put her hair up with the matching hairpiece. Azalea didn't wear makeup often, but she felt like it was a special occasion, so she put on some mascara and blush. Finally, she went downstairs.

Francesca was working with Mrs. Walters in the kitchens that day and was standing at the door when Azalea walked by. "You look wonderful in that dress!" She commented with a wide smile as soon as she saw Azalea. "Breakfast is ready. I'll go get you a plate."

"Oh thank you, but I have somewhere to be!" Azalea smiled back at the girl. "I must get going now."

"Where are you headed?" Francesca undid her apron and looked at Azalea curiously.

"Just down to the lakeside." Azalea said, not wanting to say that she was meeting Renée. Although their relationship wasn't exactly a secret anymore, she wasn't sure how others living in the castle felt about it.