Chapter Thirty-Three - Confusion and Secrets

What began as a peaceful date erupted into chaos almost immediately. Renée had apologized in a hurried manner and kissed Azalea on the cheek before rushing off to instruct the guards. Alden had been asked to walk Azalea back to the castle and ensure her safety.

Azalea felt uneasy on the way back, even though she knew that Alden would keep them both safe. Something about this just didn't feel good at all. How had Arthur managed to escape again? Why did she have this strange feeling at the mere mention of him? She hasn't even gotten a chance to ask Renée about the odd flashbacks that she had been getting.

When they eventually got back to the castle, many guards lined the entrance, far more than the usual pair. Azalea and Alden were let in and the elder man also hurried off in search of the Queen once he had made sure that the castle had been searched and that Azalea was safe.

Azalea wanted to find Renée too, but fearing that she would be more of a bother than anything, she opted to go down to the kitchens and look for Francesca instead until she heard from Renée.

To her surprise, Francesca wasn't in the kitchens either. Usually by this time, she had finished her morning chores and was helping Mrs. Walters with lunch while chatting away with her.

Mrs. Walters was in the kitchen though and turned around when she heard Azalea. She smiled at the young girl. "Azalea! I thought you would be out for lunch right now."

Azalea's face fell. "We were, but R-Her Majesty had to hurry back to deal with the situation."

Mrs. Walter's face darkened. "Yes, I heard about that. The entire castle was on lockdown earlier, but I assumed Sir Alden was handling it." She shook her head and made a sound of disapproval with her tongue. "I don't understand how this has happened again. Now the entire castle is on edge, and they have every right to be. That monster's slaughtered how many guards by this point?"

Azalea bit her lip. "I'm glad you managed to stay safe down here."

"Yes...I don't wander around much. They searched the castle and cleared it, so now I'm back to preparing lunch. The work never stops. Everyone has to eat, I suppose. Francesca usually comes by to help, but I haven't seen that girl all morning."

Azalea felt her heart drop. "You don't think that she-"

Mrs. Walter's expression quickly softened. "Heavens no, dear. Everyone was accounted for other than the guards who were by the cells. She just hasn't been down here."

Azalea relaxed a little at this. "I'll check on her later."

Mrs. Walters paused for a moment before giving Azalea a soft smile. "I'm sorry to hear that your lunch was interrupted. I'm sure Her Majesty is equally disappointed. She is clearly very fond of you and was determined that the food for the lunch had to be perfect."

Azalea blushed at this. "Sh-she did?"

"Heavens yes, nearly drove me out of my own kitchen." This made Azalea giggle. "I haven't seen Her Majesty down in the kitchens preparing food since she was a child..." she hesitated, as if unsure if she ought to say the next part. "-before Arthur took over her personal training..."

Azalea blinked in confusion. "Training?"

"Every royal heir is assigned one who will act as an overseer for their personal training once they reach a certain age until the time they ascend to the throne. Arthur was always extremely controlling though. He stayed on for some time even after her coronation. Eventually, with the vote of the nobles, he stepped down. At the time, Her Majesty appeared to have a cordial relationship with him still, but she was different..."

"Different how so?" Azalea questioned.

Mrs. Walter hesitated. "Perhaps you ought to ask Her Majesty herself." She looked a bit guilty. "I'm sorry, Azalea. I probably should not have been discussing Her Majesty's personal matters with you." Azalea opened her mouth to speak when Mrs. Walters continued. "But you truly have made a world of difference to the Queen. I hope you know that."