Chapter thirty three: Lucky.

Start from the beginning

"YAAAAY KOUSHI!!," she jumped, grinning like a Cheshire Cat, her eyes sparkling with pride as her floral summer dress waved around her.

The boy turned to gaze over his shoulder, a sweet smile painting his lips at the sight of his mother - the way she cheered for him.

Rin went still,"sh*t, sh*t, SH******T!"

The bike slammed into the lamppost, the boy lurched forward, knocking his head against the wood, he fell to the road as the bike lay limp.

Rin went running, instantly sprinting towards the scene. He reached his arms out for the boy, gripping him by the sides of his stomach and turning him to face him.

"KOUSHI ARE YOU OKAY!? IM HERE OKAY? YOU ALRIGHT BUDDY?!," his chest was hammering as he examined the child, biting his lip at the grazes that sparked on his little knees.

"Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t," he grumbled reaching to wrap his arms around his dads neck, sniffling innocently.

"Hey watch it y-."

Rin shot a glare at Sato, whispering in response,"he doesn't know what it means."

He moved, unclasping the helmet and ruffling his hair, before hugging the tiny one to his chest.'

"Dad," he cleared his throat, watching as his father moved swiftly, placing his coffee mug on the table before continuing to sit opposite him.

"I-I think we need to talk," Rin gave him an empathetic look,"and I know-."

"We've tried plenty of times but somehow it always ends up going to sh*t?," he raised an eyebrow, the distaste in his expression strengthening.

"Y-yeah," Rin nodded, looking down at his slippers before glancing back up at Suga,"but maybe I wasn't saying the right things back then."

His son didn't answer, keeping his eyes on him - after all he had nothing to say, he'd never done anything to his dad that he needed to apologise for and he didn't expect this conversation to amount to anything - the distance that had grown between them making him certain that no matter what he said, it really wouldn't make a difference.

Rin took a deep breath, leaning his elbows on his knees, his dark eyes linking into his sons hazel ones,"look I know I haven't been the best dad-."

"Well-."

"No," he shook his head,"let me finish - I've missed a lot of years with you where I could've taught you things, shared victories with you... and even though you were at arms length, I didn't bother and that's not good enough - I made myself distant because I didn't agree with what you wanted, because I tried to force my ambitions onto you when that's not what you needed. You needed someone to listen, for someone to cheer you on regardless of how different or how little educated on the matter they were -," he huffed a smile,"just like your mom, she's so proud of you Kou, she'd work herself up before every one of your matches, cheer until her throat hurt and come home over the moon no matter the outcome, because that's how much you made her feel," his shoulders fell slightly limp,"a-and I wanted to be apart of that, but when you started taking it seriously - I guess that's when I got scared, I wanted you to make the right decisions, you were going to high school soon, I thought that if you didn't have a definite plan then you'd be too far gone and I wouldn't be able to come and save you from whatever mess you could get in-."

"Exactly!," Suga flinched,"you were selfish! You -."

"I was wrong."