Chapter 12: Contemplation

Start from the beginning

I was supposed to see Rachel today, but it had completely slipped my mind, even with Ben here today, conveying how worried she was. I lifted my arm, tracing my hand against the armrest until I felt my phone. Under speed dial, I clicked her name and listened to the ringing tone.

"Hello!" Her voice was clear.

"Hey, Rachel, I was—"

"I'm not able to get to the phone right now. Uh, please leave your name and number so I can get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!"

My fingers tightly gripped the phone as blood rushed to my cheeks. "Ha-uh, hey Rachel, it's um, Alistair. I was just calling to apologize for missing my appointment. I know things have been tense and I haven't been making it easy for you. And um, I also wanted to see if I could make an appointment for tomorrow, you know, if you have the time. Just please, give me a call. I'd like to see you before I have to go to work."

Beep.

I kicked my feet, using the momentum to sit up and pushed myself off the couch. There was a twinge of pain weighing my head down when I stood, but it quickly subsided. Walking over to the threshold by the kitchen, I stared down the dark hallway. I thought of Melody, then Rachel as I looked at the phone in my hand.

I sighed in frustration, hoping Ben didn't tell Rachel I was taking the week off. Another mistake, but I couldn't afford to dwell on the unknown. I would take care of it when the time came.

I opened Google and began ordering a pizza, choosing the size, crust, cheese and toppings. My mouth began to water, thinking about the taste of the Italian beauty. I swallowed my saliva and confirmed my order for delivery.

I sat in the dining room, staring through the open blinds. Within thirty minutes, I saw the figure of a man, in what appeared to be a Pizza Hut uniform, slowly walking up through my yard. Before he could ring the doorbell, I opened the front door and unlocked the screen.

The sconce light outside illuminated the middle-aged man. Gray hairs protruded from underneath his cap, covering the tips of his ears. I squinted to get a look at his wrinkled face, but struggled as the brim of his hat casted a shadow. It wasn't until he used the flashlight on his phone that I was able to see his dreary expression covered in sweat.

"It'll be $22.72," he wheezed.

I pushed the screen open and reached into my wallet to pull out three twenty-dollar bills.

"Before I pay you, I was wondering what calamity instigated such a man as yourself to downgrade to a delivery guy?"

He cracked a weak smile. "Tck. Well"—he inhaled sharply through his nose—"it all started with the divorce, then the drinking and then I lost my job and... it's just been a spiral ever since."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said, holding the money out to him.

He chuckled while I grabbed the pizza from him. "Yeah, don't ever fall in love, kid. It's nothing but hurt." His face fell back to that same dreary expression as he stared off in thought for a few moments, then back at me.

I raised my eyebrows. "Yeah, I know it all too well."

He glanced down at his hands as he spread the twenties. There was a look of bewilderment as he tried to find the words.

"I want you to keep the change and... give me a sec." I turned around and grabbed a white card off the dining table. "If you want to quit this shit job, give this guy a call and tell them Al gave you their number."

"Uh... thanks," he said, taking it. He pivoted towards the street and I locked the doors behind him. I stared through the blinds as he got into the car. The courtesy lights slowly turned off as he brought the phone to his ear.