13: DANGER ZONE.

"Been stabbed in my heart deeply so much that I learned how to smile while I Bleed."
-Lemzy Dre.

If asked to describe the particular day in question, one could begin with the drizzling outside, the cold, and how lazy the morning felt

If asked to describe the particular day in question, one could begin with the drizzling outside, the cold, and how lazy the morning felt. A lizard had even managed to enter the house through the torn window screens, bobbing its head at the far end of the wall, close to the ceiling. May did not seem to notice.

Her mind was filled with so many unanswered questions as she weaved Maryam's black hair
into five big braids.

"Have you done your homework?" May asked. It was better starting off a conversation instead of thinking of what horror Monday had planned for her. Another quarrel? More beatings? Who knows? She might be wrapped up like a mummy and sent to her early grave. The thought alone was enough to eat her up.

"I have, since I came back from school on Friday," Maryam answered.

"Are you sure that if your teacher marks it, you're going to pass?"

Maryam nodded, "It's simple addition. As simple as the name implies."

May was impressed. During the weekend, she was too occupied with other things, so she had
little to no time for her daughter.

"Done," May announced, referring to the hair she had just finished making.

"Thanks, Mommy."

"Thank, God."

"How do I look?"

"Beautiful as always my child."

"Thank you."

Edric entered with a small smile tugging on his lips. He seemed to be in a good mood.

"Good morning." May greeted. She bent down to help Maryam with her school socks but it was
mostly to avoid looking at his face.

"Good morning, Daddy."

"Morning, sweetie." He held his hand out to brush his thumb against Maryam's cheek. She
turned her face away from him. The simple act surprised him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm not. I'm not happy with you." She crossed her arms against her chest in annoyance, pouted, and puckered her bottom lip out to show how annoyed she was.

"Why?"

"You always make Mommy cry. Why Papa?"

Edric couldn't utter a word. His mouth slightly parted out of shock. May looked up to see his
facial expression but immediately regretted it when their eyes locked. She looked down immediately acting like she was so engrossed in buckling Maryam's shoes.