Chapter twenty-six: Temporary truce

James

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

The day of Evan's birthday party turned out to be one of the most memorable days of the summer.

I slept in that day because the party didn't start until late afternoon.

When I woke up, I had a feeling that a lot was going to happen that day.

Whether it was a lot of good or bad, I didn't know.

I hoped it wasn't my intuition and that I was just being paranoid.

But it was that same feeling I became overwhelmed with on the day I told Harlee that she and I could no longer be friends.

A feeling of uncertainty?

Unpredictability, maybe?

Trying to be optimistic, I wrote it off as paranoia and started getting ready for the day. After my daily hygiene routine, I headed downstairs to have breakfast. Mom had already gone off to work, and Dad was still away, so only Lizzie was around. I entered the kitchen and noticed she didn't give me her usual disgusted-to-see-me glare.

That was a surprise.

I walked past her and started pouring myself a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning, James," she greeted me.

I gave her a confused stare.

Okay, my intuition was correct, I thought.

Lizzie is being nice? Something in the universe must be off-balance somewhere.

"Mom won't be home until late, so she can't take you to the party," she said as I poured some milk into my bowl.

"I'm aware," I told her, setting down the jug. "Mrs. Smith is coming to pick me up."

Lizzie shook her head at me while sipping her mocha latte.

"No, she called earlier. She is so busy with last-minute party prep, she can't make it. Unless you want to ride your bike, I can take you there."

I almost choked on my cereal at the last part of what she'd said.

Had she just offered to do something nice for me?

No way, I thought.

Impossible.

Lizzie is never nice to me voluntarily. She is definitely just trying to mess with me.

"Mhm, I think I'd rather walk," I said bluntly then spooned some more cereal into my mouth.

Lizzie didn't flinch at my remark.

"Sounds tedious, but fine. I have better things to do anyway," she fired back, heading towards the kitchen doorway.

"Wait," I called out, realizing she had actually been serious about driving me. "Why are you offering to drive me to the party anyway?"

"Because I'm a nice person," she said simply.

"Since when?" I said back.

Lizzie had had enough of me after that. She stormed out of the room, leaving me sitting at the breakfast table by myself.

I felt confused.

Lizzie and I always argued with one another.

We hardly ever talked unless we were insulting each other.

Why was she suddenly acting like she didn't know how to fight back?

Or like she didn't even want to?

Without finishing my breakfast, I followed her upstairs to her room, trying to figure it out. I did need the ride because I didn't think Hyland would like me showing up at her house to pick her up on a bike. But right then I was more concerned I'd really upset my sister. I knocked on her bedroom door thrice.