Chapter 32

Garoks dropped me on the bridge to Harkis' house in the rebel camp. The Evenawk miners and farmers were getting fitted for better weapons as everyone prepared for the next battle. Many Evenawks questioned the quick succession of battles but were easily won over when told of the alternative: giving the Mages time to call for reinforcements. A quick strike was needed and the Evenawks were going to have to push on.

Narrilok and Bak escorted me into Harkis' house so we could talk with the Last Chieftain and plan the next move. Narrilok had been closed lipped about my portion of the plan but I was sure it would be messy.

That is a safe bet, Cathy said. You are like his new toy. He will keep using you until you break or he becomes bored.

Whoa, whoa, ease back on the positivity there.

It's true, Cathy chuckled.

Harkis greeted us with a smile. "This day continues to be surprising. We have victory on two fronts and there is talk of a third battle."

"That is correct, Chieftain," Narrilok said, trying to hide his soreness. "Speed is our ally. If the Mages regroup they will reinforce Scert'chak and bring even more suffering to its citizens."

"And the citizens have suffered enough," Harkis said. "I assume a plan is in the works."

"Yes, Chieftain," Narrilok said.

"Then walk me through it," Harkis responded, walking over to the table with the large map stretched across it.

Narrilok, Bak and I joined around the table and Narrilok pointed down to the capital. "The plan is as simple as the last but something I've been hoping to do for cycles," he started. "Infiltration and assassination during a major battle. I've worked tirelessly for a long time trying to get an inside man to take down Desroche and I think I've found it in Daison here."

"Daison?" Harkis asked, looking my direction.

"If it means the Evenawks won't see me as just another Mage and attack me, I'll accept it," I said.

"This is good," Harkis mused. "Something that can be turned into folklore and inspire the troops. Just like Blackbeak during the Mage Invasion."

"You've been reading the books," Narrilok smiled.

"I figured it was long overdue," Harkis smiled back.

"So I walk in and work my way into their main government building and take down Desroche while you guys attack?" I asked.

"That will be the easiest part of your job," Narrilok said. "The Mages have installed two defensive towers overlooking the forest approach. With the rest of Scert'chak protected by the mountain peaks, that forest is the only way in and you will be needed to help take down those towers."

Oh, is that it? Cathy asked sarcastically.

"Tell me more of these towers," I said.

"They are the stuff of nightmares," Bak said.

"Last time we tried to take back the capital, the towers rained fire down on the forest and torched the very earth," Narrilok explained. "Nothing will ever grow there again. They sacrificed the land itself to try and destroy this rebellion."

"Lovely," I said, rubbing my chin. "What creates the fire?"

"We don't know," Narrilok answered. "We figured Mages but it is too powerful to be a simple spell. There has to be something more sinister."

Perhaps something is powering the Mages, Cathy suggested. Or the Mages are powering something.

"Will I be sending a signal for your attack?" I asked.