Chapter 19

The man known as Chester the Mongoose stepped out from the middle of the two other bandits. He was about as average looking as anyone that could be average looking.

Probably how he has been so successful, Cathy pointed out. Not an easy face to describe.

"Good to see you again so soon, Natalie," Chester smiled.

"I'm here for what is mine," Natalie said as we stopped in front of Chester.

We stopped, or maybe he stopped us, close to the dark passageway into which the old cart tracks disappeared. I looked down the passageway but couldn't see anything. It did nothing to ease my mind though.

"If I remember correctly, it was mine first," Chester smiled as I felt around the area with my mind.

"In our business it isn't who had it first but who sold it first," Natalie replied.

"True, but that can't be the only reason you are here," Chester said. He slowly looked into my direction. "Or that you brought a Mage to my doorstep."

I stopped searching with my mind and waited to see if that was a cue to attack. With everyone unmoving I continued my search. There was a strange undertone in this cave that was making it hard to focus on anything.

"Word has it you've been kidnapping people you shouldn't have," Natalie said as if the idea was normal.

"Just a favour for an old friend," Chester replied in good humour.

Finally my search revealed two minds advancing on our position from within the dark passageway. I looked at Aaron who was still focused on the conversation. Hiding my hand, I sent a small little Pulse of energy at him to get his attention.

When he turned and looked at me confused, I held up two fingers from my hidden hand. I motioned towards my hidden hand and Aaron looked down then back up at my face more confused. I looked behind him into the passage and motioned subtly with my head. He turned his head slightly then back to me and thought for a second before realization crossed his face.

Finally, Cathy said. I thought that boy would take forever to figure it out.

He nodded slightly and we refocused on the conversation.

"And you think that's a good idea?" Natalie asked.

"Money is money, love," Chester answered. "So what now? She isn't here and I have the Falcon. What are you going to do now?"

Wait, what did I miss? Cathy asked.

"It stays the same, Chester," Natalie answered. "I kill you and take the Falcon."

"It's going to be a shame to kill someone as wild as you were," he smirked.

Aaron aimed his bow down the passageway and shot an arrow. A cry of surprise echoed from the passageway as Aaron reached for another arrow. A flood of power erupted from my hand as a created a magical wall protecting Natalie and Aaron. An arrow flew out of the darkness, striking the wall and landed on the ground harmlessly.

I dropped the wall and Aaron let another arrow fly. Only the sound of the arrow hitting the ground echoed throughout the passageway. Aaron and I backed up out of sight of the passageway while Natalie was focused solely on Chester. The two bandits at the other end of the room started to advance on Natalie.

"Get the other two," he hissed at them. "I can handle this."

"Yeah," Natalie chuckled. "I'm only a girl."

Natalie fought with the fury of a tornado, quickly striking and dodging anything Chester could throw at her with his short sword. The two bandits left them alone as they turned their attention to us.