Sirius signed through the whole ceremony, he's come such a long way from the days of fingerspelling. I thought of Mum the entire time, how she used to say that Sirius was destined to be a part of the Potter family.

We both wished that you all could have been there, but I promise at the end of the war we'll hold a reception to make up for everyone's absence.

In the meantime, keep your chin and hopes up, brother. This will all be over soon. We'll talk again soon, just know that we love you, all three of you. Stay safe and well.

Love,

Charlus

There was so much more that Charlus wanted to add to letter, but at the same time, he didn't know what to say. He wanted to send all the comfort and reassurance in the world to James and Lily that everything was going to be alright in the long run. But it was harder to keep pushing such an idea when Order members were going missing and some turning up dead. While they hid away along with Alice and Frank Longbottom, the rest of the Order members were on edge, wondering who was going to be the next target that the Death Eaters went after?

However, Sirius was committing himself harder to the Order more so than ever before, determined to keep his loved ones safe. He didn't have to come out and say it, but it was clear that Sirius worried about the "disadvantage" Charlus had with his lack of hearing. It was more or less the reason why he wanted Charlus to remain in the little cottage they had bought, out by the coast, far away from anything and anyone. It didn't matter how many times Charlus had proven himself to be a skilled dueller, there was still the doubt of something going wrong.

Not being the strongest member of the Order had resulted in Charlus losing the opportunity to become the Secret Keeper to his brother and family. He thought for sure that Sirius was going to take the responsibility on himself, but it was at the last minute that Sirius came up with a different plan.

They would make Peter the Secret Keeper.

At first, Charlus didn't know what to make of the new plan, questioning as to why Peter would be chosen over him. However, Sirius explained that it was all a bluff. Voldemort and his followers would more than likely suspect that Charlus or Sirius would be made the Secret Keepers, but who would suspect someone like Peter to be placed in such a powerful position? It sounded harsh but at the time, it made sense, so Charlus went with it.

After all, Peter was one of James' best friends from childhood and Charlus had grown up with them as well even if he spent his time with a different circle of friends. Peter would do anything for his loved ones, right?

Suddenly feeling restless with Sirius' absence, Charlus pushed himself up from the desk and began to wander around the cottage. Silence was something that had followed him from the time of birth, so he didn't mind the eerie quietness around the home, but it was the stillness that bothered him.

Usually, when Sirius was around, the two would converse back and forth, the shifting of their hands and fingers, filled the room with motion. The way Sirius would laugh at Charlus' annoyed expressions would be enough to make his hair toss about. And there were the nights where Sirius couldn't bring himself to smile, so Charlus would offer his hand asking for a dance. They could spend hours in each other's embrace, slowly moving around the living room floor.

However, the only movement that Charlus continued to see were the shadows the fire painted on the walls. It left him paranoid to the point where he decided to sit outside on the front steps, waiting for Sirius to return.

Night had long taken over, a cold front blowing through that caused the long grass to sway as it prepared for its death under the first frost. The moon was full and Charlus swallowed knowing that Remus was alone that evening. It was something James would have never allowed if he wasn't a prisoner in his own home, he would have never allowed his friends to get so bad with each other.