Chapter Seven

It was the first time ever being far away from my mother. My mother's grave was placed in the local cemetery back in Dallas. She was waiting for us to join her.

I opened my eyes to reveal a disgusting shade of yellow that had spots of black all over the ceiling. It was our third week in Orange City, Iowa and I hated it.

The roads were bumpy, the grocery store took us a twenty minute drive from the motel and there was nothing to do.

Dad enrolled Lucy and I into school yesterday and was expecting us to go to school tomorrow. Though seeing more people rather than cockroaches scurry across the floor would be nice, but I just miss Mom.

Jefferson would drive 40 minutes every night from his college to eat dinner with us that was usually take out. Every night it seemed like he looked better. His eyes weren't as swollen and he tried smiling a lot more.

Dad certainly has changed since when we were at our old house and now. He's forced to change. He has to take more control and talk to us. All of us kids knows he's hurting more than us. He knew Mom for all his life. They grew up together since they were in diapers.

Lucy stopped talking as much. Her smiles diminished and just turned into a fine line. Her eyes turned cold and her voice turned sour.

As for me, my world seemed as if it crashed and burned. I had no light in life and no meaning to go on. At nights, I wondered what would happen if I took my razor down the skin of my wrist or took the pills that my Dad needs for his health.

But, I always remembered Mom wouldn't want me to do it. But I still wanted to die.

--

The next day, Lucy, Dad and I were up and early at six in the morning. In Iowa, school started at 7:30, but sharing a single bathroom with also two girls makes everything seem longer.

"Sophie, are you almost done with the shower?" Lucy asked through the wooden door. I clutched the edge of my towel and began putting on my clothes.

"I'm changing," I replied, pulling a tank top over my head.

A minute afterwards, I opened the door, letting Lucy inside. Her eyes were bloodshot red just like every night. In her hand, was her outfit and a pair of sunglasses to wear to cover her eyes.

I led myself to the corner of the room, closest to the front door where the table was placed.

"Good morning, Sophie," Dad greeted from the table, pushing a plate of waffles from the free breakfast in the lobby.

"G'morning, Dad," I replied. I ripped apart the waffle and poured a cup full of syrup on my plate and began dipping the pieces in it. After twenty minutes, Lucy came out of the bathroom with gray skinny jeans, black Chuck Taylor's, and a white t-shirt; not to mention, knock off Ray Ban's placed over her eyes.

"I have some news to tell both of you," Dad began. "I know both of you hate this place, but being nearer to Jefferson is best. Also, both of you know I went house hunting recently and I found a house nearer to the school and grocery store and I bought it. We'll be moving in this afternoon, so begin packing, so we can leave right after school."

Lucy and I released a huge sigh of relief. We hated the motel and we could not keep sharing a bathroom, especially with Dad.

We gathered our limited belongings together and placed them next to the door.

As we headed into our SUV, the car was silent. I could tell Dad didn't know what to say. His mouth would open, but nothing would come out of it. Through the rear view, Lucy's head was propped against the window. Cries of sadness flowed down her pale cheeks.

We pulled into the parking lot and everyone seemed to have their own group. There were crowds of students covering the courtyard. In the back of the school, you could see a tree poking out from the back.

"Have a good day, girls." Dad smiled, but tears rimmed his eyes. He was going to be alone.

We closed the doors and disappeared in the hoards of students.

As we walked toward the school, a large circle enclosed two guys. They were both tall and specks of blood either on their lip or a bruised eye.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" The students around them yelled. I felt irritated and had the need to roll my eyes. Their eyes were stone hard as they gave hooks towards each other.

The doors to the school had teachers running down the stairs and towards the boys.

"Mr. Michaels and Mr. Grant, my office, now!" a buff man yelled while a couple of male teachers yanked the arms of the boys.

"He deserves it," one of the boys yelled to the other. He struggled against the teacher, releasing a bead of sweat. He was none the less, still good looking with a busted lip. He had light brown hair with gray eyes and stubble running down his face. Wearing a white t-shirt, sweat drowned the top of his shirt, making his shirt press against his fit abdominals.

"Preston, I demand you to be quiet," the principal's low voice growled. "Get to class everybody." His yell echoed throughout the silenced courtyard. All the watchers rushed into the school, pushing themselves closer to avoid the principal's fiery glares.

"Let's go," Lucy told me, gripping my arm closer to the school. I glanced back at the other boy who Preston accused.

He had purple shade surrounding his eye and a lip busted. Our eyes awkwardly connected. It was a glance of wonder. He had warm brown eyes that looked sincere, but there was a gut feeling that danger followed him.

I turned my gaze away from him and began walking towards to school. It took us a while to find the office. As we walked in, we saw the very same boys with ice bags pressed onto their faces.

"Hello ladies, how may I help you?" an old woman asked us behind a desk.

"Hello, we're new here. I'm Sophie Jacobs and she's Lucy Jacobs," I told her. She looked into a file and handed us our schedules and maps.

"Have a wonderful first day, and welcome to Orange City High," the lady told us.

"Good luck," Lucy whispered as we parted ways. I could see a tear escaping out of her sun glasses.

"You, too."

-- 

A/N: YAY!!!! I'm writing again. Alrighty, I hope this was a good chapter for y'all. Sorry for the mistakes, I'm writing this from my iPod.

Find me on tumblr: m--oda.tumblr.com