Chapter Two

Chapter Two        

The first thing I saw when I woke up was the beautiful sky, which was filled with bright flurries of dancing snow.

I pulled myself out of bed and found a pair of long socks tangled in the comforter. Wrapping myself in a large blanket, I crept down the long hallway and down the kitchen staircase so that Lucy, my fourteen year old sister would not wake up.

            A soft melodic tune came from the kitchen. I kept walking. The strong smell of bacon alarmed my sense.Mom was in front of the stove frying bacon, while Dad was reading the morning newspaper. I shuffled down the stairs in haste for the cooked bacon.

            “Good Morning, Sophie-sweetie,” Mother chuckled as she continued flipping the bacon strips over.

            “Good morning as well,” I grumbled.I sat down at the kitchen table, which my mother placed a pan of fresh bacon next to the cupcake displayAs I walked past the table to get to my chair, my father patted my head lightly, which turned out to be a mistake as his hand instantly got tangled up in my tangled hair.

            “Sophie, how’s school coming along?” Dad questioned as he put the newspaper down.

            “It’s fine, I guess,” I mumbled as I chewed on the strip of bacon. Mother seated herself beside my father on his right side.

            “Julian, it’s almost 8. You have to work on the Groves' floor plan,” Mom reminded Dad.

"Thank you, Maria. I would've forgotten." Dad quickly finished his food and placed the dishes in the sink for Mom to put away. Dad kissed Mom on the cheek and hurried up the stairs in his robe and slippers to his studio.

            Dad’s occupation as a Architect fit his personality; a quiet and independent self that pushes himself more.

            “What are your plans today?” Mom asked.

            “I think I’m just going to go out to get inspiration for my novel," I said sarcastically. Mom rolled her eyes. I pushed the chair behind me and washed my hands.

            “Make sure to bring your phone and tell me when you’re going out," Mom told me, finishing up the last strip of bacon.

**

            It was chilly. The wind blew specks of snow horizontally into my face. I tugged on my scarf with one hand and held the journal inside my jacket. My boots were sucked in the thick snow, yet I kept heading towards the red barn. I pulled the door open.

           Animals were huddled together in stalls. As the door shut, animals called for attention. I poured food into each of their stalls.After feeding and tending them, I was sweating from exertion. I was sweating. I removed multiple layers of clothing and jackets.

            I lay down on the clean hay and just closed my eyes.

**

            My body trembled with fear. I saw it coming. I stood there, unable to reach her at all.  She was singing at the top of her lungs in her sports car. The white car drove nonchalantly down the road that had acres of land enclosing her on both sides. The wheat on both sides of her, swayed to the wind’s command. Another car dashed through the fields towards the main road. Mom couldn’t see it at all.

            In a single second, mom’s car was trashed against the other car that appeared through the wheat filed fields. The cars were blazing bright, orange fire. Mother’s scream could’ve been heard miles and miles away. I wanted to run towards mom and get her out. I stood very still at the roof of an unknown farm house. I squatted down, hugging my knees as I burst into tears.

            Mother’s scream filled the bright sky, echoing longer than normal. I tried turning away from the sight of my own mother burning self, but my shoes seemed plastered on to roof. I took a deep breath, knowing this was a dream. My voice wavered as I screamed. Mom’s body escaped the car, but started climbing the side of the house. Her body was still on fire as she lifted herself up the wall.

            Her peach, heart shape face was black as coal and had a scowl. She clawed her way up the yellow painted wood, creating holes where her nails hooked on. The faded yellow paint was peeling off the wall.

            The house was eerie itself. It was built in the middle of nowhere. Nowhere was the place.

            I rocked myself on the balls of my feet murmuring ‘it’s just a dream’ over and over again. I yelped as mother’s scorching hand grabbed my ankle and that hand burnt me. I could feel the sting merge into my leg, and reaching throughout my body.

            I was shaken by a force in front of me. They shook furiously. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping my mom’s body would go away.

            “Go away, go away,” I repeated as my eyes shut. I felt the heated hand dissolves within seconds. My eyes opened, seeing Dad’s worried eyes hovering over me.

                        “Sophie?” Dad questioned. “Are you okay?” He reached for the jacket that was lying on the barn’s cold floor. He brushed the strings of hay and spread it across my chest, keeping a safe distance from areas that shouldn’t be touched.

            “Just a bad dream,” I commented, putting my arms in my sleeves. We walked out of the barn. He removed his own scarf and placed it around my neck as I was shivering. Dad draped his arm on my shoulder, steadying me as we struggled to go towards the house.

            I knew it wasn’t just a dream. It was too realistic.

 --

A/N: That was a small chapter. But there will be longer chapters as we progeress onwards. Please support me as the Watty Awards 2012 comes along. I've been receiving lots of positive feedback over the first chapter. I like how different the atmosphere of the story is. Please comment and vote! It was a great chapter to show the parents and their roles in the family. It's Wednesday! AND I'm on time(: Winning! -Happy Reading

-Love, Ivan Ang(:

Like my facebook page! By liking my page, you'll receive exclusive first looks on projects and chapters of The Library.