Chapter 110 + 111

Start from the beginning

But I don't wake up. At least, I think I didn't. I look around, seeing nothing but white mist. Where am I? I can hear my heart pounding as I take a step back. And then another...until my back hits something hard. I jump and face whatever was behind me. My eyes widen in horror.

It...it can't be!

It's Father's old mansion in Ireland. The one we left years ago! "Noland," that feminine voice sounds closer. "Where you kid?"

I look around, trying to find an escape. But somehow, the mist fades away and reveals my old room. NO. It can't be! I left all of this behind me! "Kid, don't be afraid," says the voice. Only now, my subconscious is forcing me remember and relive it...

...I'm 6- maybe 7 years old. Mam pulled me aside outside a huge mansion. "Nol, this weekend you're gonna spend time with yer Da. Isnae grand, Tiger?"

While I always wanted to know my Da, I didn't want to leave my Mam and Nana. I held tight to Mam's waist, and in my best strong voice, I asked her, "But you'll come back for me, right?" Refusing to release my hold on her waist, I looked up and waited for her answer.

She smiled at me, "Of course, boyo. I'll always come for ye."

That was the last time I saw her that weekend. Da – I mean Father – took one look at me and said, "Tch, just what I thought. Undisciplined. But that'll change soon enough." None of that sounded like a good thing...but at least it seems he wants to spend time with me. Right?

Father pressed a button and something buzzed before a person – male, I think – answered. "Yes, sir?"

"Come to my study and escort my son to his room. He'll be staying the weekend...for now."

"Right away, sir," replied the voice.  I think the voice is coming from the walls. 

Father released the button and turned to me. "Unfortunately, I have business in America and cannot supervise you this weekend. You will have my wife, Mrs. Hirahara, to watch over you while I'm away. Is that clear?"

No, actually. It wasn't clear.   So, I asked, "But...but why am I here, if you're not going to be here?" Shortly after my question, a tall slender man dressed in all black entered the room. But his presence did nothing to stop the fury Father showed me.

He stomped towards me, not seeming to care for the other man in the room. He reaches down, grabs my chin, and forces it up towards him. "Are you questioning me, boy?" he demands.

"But I – I mean- it's just that -" I stumbled with my words. Why is Father so upset with me?

Still holding my chin, he turned to the man in black, and in a stern voice, he commanded, "Get my son to his room. I have work to do."  With those departing words, he dropped my face and turned away from me. The man in black stayed silent.

For once, I was relieved to get away from Father. I followed the silent man out of the study and to my new room. It was a bit far, down some dark hallway that made me wonder: is my room the only one out of sight? 

By the time we got to my room, the silent man finally decided to speak. "This will be your room, Master Noland. Mrs. Hirahara will be here to check on you shortly." And that was it. That was all he said to me before he turned and left.

Suddenly, I heard a car turning on from the outside. I rushed toward the window to see. "Da?" I whispered.  My heart sank with disappointment.  It was Father, all buttoned up and ready to leave me. I tried to open the window; maybe he would let me go with him. "Da! Wait!" It was no good. The window was too heavy.