28; The Change That I Need

IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT THAT SCOTT WOULD HAVE TO CONFESS, he decided to write an entire speech. Mostly just out of boredom and since he had too much free time on his hands, also partly for maybe if it actually happens, which he thought was not going to happen. Sam had figured he'd take Scott out for drinks that night. He realized it was the best anyways, watching his best friend mope around over his other friends being together was not really a good sight. Apart from feeling terrible, he could also understand why both Scott and Bucky were head over heels for her.

Maeve was well-spoken, humorous, and she could cook very, very well. She didn't realize it but the saying 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach' was very true. Sam looked on at Scott in pity as the man drank his sorrows away.

"You broke your friendship with her just because you liked her? Seems pretty selfish, dude," commented Sam, barely finishing his first beer.

"Yeah, well she's not ever going to know about any of this."

"But she thinks you're mad at her and that she did something wrong!"

Scott was silent. He didn't realize her feelings about any of this. He didn't bother to think about her at all. Perhaps he truly was selfish. He let out a small 'oh' to mask his disappointment. Avoiding Sam's cool gaze, he shook his head in a defeated manner and shifted his eyes somewhere else.

"Disregarding the fact that you're destroying your liver with alcohol - are you okay?" Sam asked, genuinely worried for his friend. It was one of the many things Scott liked about Sam. You could take a look at that man and immediately knew what he was feeling. Sam wore his heart on his sleeve, he was like an open book.

"I'm fine, for the most part," he meekly replied, "it just hurts, y' know?"

Sam nodded, although he had no idea what Scott was feeling.

"The thing that bothers me the most is that maybe if I had realized my feelings sooner, I would have had a chance. If only I could go back in time and tell her how I really felt. The pain of it all is that I will never ever know if she would have reciprocated my feelings. Even if she rejected me, at least I know I tried."

"And what makes you think you don't have a chance with her now? Bucky and Maeve aren't exactly a couple..not yet, at least."

Scott whipped his head to Sam and gave him a daring look.

"Have you seen how she looks at him? All she ever talked about was him when I was watching her, her eyes would always be on him. She looks at him as if he's every hope she's ever had in human form. To be honest, I envy him. Barnes is all she's paid attention to since she got here. I have absolutely no chance," he sadly explained before downing his glass of whiskey again, "at least not anymore."

-

Maeve collapsed on her bed after training, she was extremely exhausted. Training with Bucky was never easy. Well, it usually wasn't. They hadn't trained together in a while, just the two of them. Today he seemed a bit...off like he was letting her in every wrestling match, letting her pass him when racing around the park, letting her nearly kill him in friendly duels. It vexed her, but it did not necessarily anger her. She figured it was probably because of their new relationship, and how he didn't want to hurt her.

She felt the weight of the bed shift as Bucky sat down next to her. Maeve let her feet hang off the bed and stared off into space.

"You okay, doll?" He asks, wiping his wet hair with a soft, fluffy towel. He had just gotten out of the shower and all he wore was a loose, bigger towel draped around his waist. The droplets of water complimented his abs very nicely. The sight of him made almost made her mouth water.

"I want to cut my hair." He says, out of the blue. She was confused, "Why? You love your hair."

He shrugs and wraps his hair in a towel. Then he lies down next to her, the water staining her white sheets light grey.

"I just want to. Will you cut my hair?"

Maeve was bewildered, "Me-cut your hair?" He nods. "But I'm not a stylist! Do you trust me?" He nods again. 'So be it' she thought. Maeve clicks her tongue playfully and lazily gets up to her bedstand, where she pulls out a pair of metal scissors from the drawers. Bucky sits up again, wiping his hair thoroughly to get it dry. After a few more minutes of drying his hair, Maeve runs a shaky finger through his hair. Just before she makes the first snip, she freezes.

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yes."

"Positive?"

"Absolutely."

-

Maeve was no stylist, but fear accompanied by sheer determination made her extremely proud of the result. "Done!" She remarks, passing Bucky a mirror to look at the completed look. He examines himself, and a big grin slowly forms on his lips.

"Huh, it looks great! Thank you!"

"Yes-but why me? Out of everyone."

Bucky sighed, turning around to face her. He smiles and grabs her face with both of his hands. And then he was in her arms, hugging her with a ferocious strength that she had never experienced before when receiving a mere embrace.

"Because I needed a change. And you are just the change I need." He says, kissing her. Her small lips melting under the pressure of his strong, male jaw. When they pulled away, she was starstruck.

"Hm, love at first remembrance. That's what you are." She mumbles to herself, quite happily. Bucky looks up at her as he admired his new style in the mirror. "Hm?"

Maeve shakes her head, and burys her face deep in his neck, "Nothing."

[This is how he ends up looking :))]