Chapter 5 (Episode 1-4)

"Ugh," Traven groaned, swatting at something nibbling merrily on his neck. "Damn bugs."

"It's a forest," Daria reminded him of the obvious. "Lots of bugs out here in nature."

She rode behind Traven and Savaran, who were relegated to sharing a single horse. Their mare gimped along with the combined weight she bore. Savaran was on the reins while the ex-prince was sitting up on their mount's backside.

In a cheerful tone, Savaran observed, "General Drugard's first rule. When one smells like shit, one invariably attracts flies."

None of them had bathed since hitching that ride in the back of the manure cart two days ago. And the stench lingered. They'd managed easily enough to subdue the poor, unfortunate elderly man in charge of the dirty deed of removing the foul substance from Twilight Keep. After tying him up once they were well clear of the main gate, they confiscated his less than prize-winning horses to assist their journey south.

To say they weren't the best of mounts was overstating their condition. They were barely serviceable at best, mostly broken down from hard work. What Savaran wished they had was a saddle. This bareback riding was killing his posterior. And he grew tired of how Traven had to keep grabbing him around the waist like a damsel in distress to prevent himself from falling off. It was undignified.

"I figure we're about eight days from Soucaro," Daria proclaimed. "Ten more after that to the lair of our wizard friend."

"Lich," Savaran chimed in as a friendly reminder. "I hope these two blasted nags last that long. Going to take longer if we have to make any of this wonderful journey on foot."

The road they were traveling wasn't the main one south. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But it was a road; or more accurately, a well-worn and exploited trail. The Geres Trail was a popular route for hunters and trappers to take. Because of it being out of the way, it allowed them to apply their trades along the journey and add to their supplies and wares.

Their small contingent had already seen ample game along the route, and Savaran had taken out two squirrels and a young possum they had smoked by the fire on their first night on the road. Fresh meat was a welcome relief to both his and Traven's stomachs.

Daria, it seemed, hadn't been as excited. But she also wasn't on the run either and appeared to have plenty of money for quality supplies. She appeared to have a well-stocked traveler's pack with much higher end food to partake of. Food, she was always willing to share for a price.

Savaran wasn't having any more of her bargaining, which was just a means for trying to cut into his share of the bounty. A bounty he was an unwilling participant in collecting.

"I think this is a terrible idea," Traven leaned in to whisper in Savaran's ear. "You could take her. Then we could both get far away from this extremely disastrous idea."

*THWACK!*

"Ow!" Traven exclaimed as something cracked into the back of his skull. He turned around to Daria tossing another acorn up and down, eyeing him with deadly seriousness. "What was that for?"

"I can hear you," she informed him and smiled.

"You can?" the former prince squeaked.

"Uh-huh," she reiterated, "and I would strongly suggest you put any of those dumb ideas out of that empty little princely head of yours."

"Damn it," grumbled Traven. Savaran roared in laughter.

*THWACK!*

"Ow!" This time it was Savaran's turn to feel the force of an acorn to the back of his head. He turned and scowled at Daria.