Chapter Thirty

Draco's POV

   She'll come, I know she will.

   I'd always loved the complexity of the Headmistress' office. From the intricate doorway to the moving paintings of old, I just found an odd peacefulness fill me through it, and I knew it was the first place I wanted to go once we got here.

   I gave her a clue. She is the brightest witch of our age, after all.

   I stood at the far window, gazing into the ravine below. I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't believe I was behind the wheel of yet another attack on this castle in a year's time. I knew that this time the Ministry would most likely win, since our strategy was breached and we are now focusing on man slaughter, but I also knew that they would most likely deem Hogwarts too dangerous and shut it down for good, which killed me.

   What also weighed on my mind was her. She kept coming into my thoughts, thinking that any progress I made with her was for sure severed at the seams. That was what ached the most.

   I thought back to the first time I met her. Well, met is a strong word, I'd say more of saw her, from a distance.

~•~

   Sitting at the Slytherin table was all I had dreamed it to be. I felt elated and content, sitting where my ancestors had previously resided, and I was more than proud to wear the familiar crest that danced around my bedroom in colors, posters, and more.

   People slapped me on the back, congratulating me on joining the best house at Hogwarts, but I didn't hear them. Instead, I focused on the girl sitting at the Gryffindor table.

   I knew I was staring, but I couldn't help it. There she was - the girl I'd seen on the platform that I was so anxiously looking for.

   Her brown hair was bushy, and she had slight buck teeth, but her eyes were soft, and her smile genuine as she talked with acquaintances. She was easily the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen, and I snapped my eyes away as soon as she returned my gaze.

   I knew I needed to know her. I had to know her...

~•~

   Little did I know that after that day I would've gotten to know her in the worst way possible. I regret everyday the way I have treated her and her friends because, why? Because I was jealous!

   Frustration took me over for a moment, and I lost control, slamming my fists on the Headmistress' desk with a loud thud. My breathing slowed eventually, and I tried to calm myself down as much as I could.

   For years I questioned whether I was jealous of her friendship with the Chosen One or of her desire for Weaselbee. It came clear to me over the years which one it was, and still, whenever I see them together my insides light up with fiery hatred.

~•~

   "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! YOU ALWAYS RUIN EVERYTHING!"

   I heard the sound of crying and screaming coming down the corridor. I recognized the voice at once, and my stomach lurched with worry.

   I turned back to Pansy, who was so drunk she was standing on the stage, her arm hanging off the drummer while she sang with the Weird Sisters. She never would remember me leaving her, so I went with my gut and ran after the sound.

   I turned the corner, seeing her push away Weasley, who's face was so contorted with anger you couldn't see his freckles. she was in hysterics, crying and pushing him and Harry away with all her might. My fists clenched as I felt anger rise in my throat.

   They finally got the hint, and as I saw them leave, I dared to creep closer. I saw her now, her golden brown hair falling out all over the place, her face buried in her hands as her shoulders shook with violent sobs. I saw her shoes thrown down the stairs, lying ascew.

   I wanted to say something, I wanted to help her, but I was frozen to the spot. Even if I was brave enough, she would never except my help after all I'd done to her.

   In that moment, I knew I would never except Ron Weasley. How could I, after he damaged the one light in my horribly black life.

~•~

   My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of pounding on the door. I snapped towards the sound, muttering a "Come in."

   Greyback emerged from behind it, bowing low.

   "They have arrived, sir," he said, his voice gravelly as it vibrated against the walls. My heart skipped a beat, she was close.

   "Would you like me to send for her immediately, my leige?" he asked. I could hear the hatred in his voice, having a teen have authority over him, but I ignored it.

  "No," I said, "She's a smart girl. She will find me on her own."

   Sensing his departure, I turned back to the window, twirling a pencil in my hand. I looked at the enormous grandfather clock on the mantle.

   "Come on, Hermione."

A/N

Sorry I didn't update last Wednesday. I was on a trip and I had no time to write anything cause we had no down time. Anyways, things are getting interesting! Does anyone have any ideas about Lucious' and Draco's plan?

- Sarah