Chapter Six

Draco POV

*Seven months earlier*

   "Draco, do come downstairs and fetch the mail from Minty, he's having a bit of trouble carrying it on his own."

   Minty, our old house elf we'd hired as a short term replacement after Dobby left, let out a cry of anguish that could be heard from the study I was in. The old prat was a sorry excuse for a house elf, and I honestly don't know why we still keep him around. Still, I wasn't about to go and disobey mother about it.

   I silently crept down the stairs, picking up the sack of mail the hag held in his hands and throwing it over my shoulder easily. I raised an eyebrow at him as he regarded me with silent awe, and I walked into the foyer, plopping the bag at mother's feet.

   "Mail," I say nonchalantly, before fixing my suit coat and walking towards the door. When I'm about an inch away, mother stops me in my tracks.

   "You're going to see him aren't you?" she says quietly, studying her hands and avoiding my gaze. Her mouth was drawn into a thin line, and she silently started rummaging through the sack of mail.

   Knowing exactly what she meant, I replied with a short "Yes," before trying to make it out the door. My hand fell from the handle as she cut me off again.

   "Take this with you dear," she said calmly, holding the Hogwarts letter I had received a few days ago in her hand. I made no move to retrieve it, and she studied the hesitancy in my gaze.

   "You have to tell him sooner or later Draco," she said truthfully. I shot her a glance, slumping my shoulders and striding over to her before snatching the letter and walking out the door.

~•~

    I quickly and easily navigated the halls of the manor, clutching my letter in my hand. My palms had begun to sweat with every step I made towards the room.

   Going to see him always made me antsy. He always made me feel unwanted, like he wasn't happy to see me.

   Well, what's new I guess.

   I reached the door with the snake carvings on it, each more intricate than the other. I gulped loudly, resting my shaking hand on the knob as I pushed the door open.

   The small storage room felt more and more cramped with every visit. For now it was cluttered with gifts for him and little fixtures of light placed here and there to see things better; nothing special. I quickly walked past the display and up to the mirror.

   It was covered in a thick, burlap sack, but I pulled it off with ease. Once removed, the shimmering, shining mirror swam with all sorts of colors, and it was entrancing in a way words can't explain. By now I'd trained myself to only loose my thoughts temporarily in the beauty.

   "Revalvo Chridferio," I mutter softly with a shake of my wand. The mirror shifted and spun, it's colors swirling, more alluring than ever.

   Eventually, the shift in colors stopped, and what was at first a mix of primary colors became a stone grey. It stayed that way until the grey began to fade.

   A man in his forties appeared, his long blonde hair swept over his back in knots. His back was turned, but I could see the outline of well defined muscles creasing the grooves in his body. I took in a sharp breath.

   "Draco," the man spat. Merlin, it still amazes me how he knows I'm there without turning around.

   I squared my shoulders and spoke with as much masculinity as I could muster.

   "Father," I say cooly. His shoulders rose and fell slightly as he grasped the back of a lone chair for support. I could see the dark scene of Azkaban prison in the background of the mirror.

   "Do you have news? About the girl?"

   Father was always straight to the point.

   "What? The mud-blood? No, I haven't talked to her."

   Father straightened to his full height, stalking towards the mirror in long strides. His torn prison clothes dangled off his toned body.

   "She's a vital ingredient in our plan Draco, you cannot let this detail slide," he insisted in a voice low and dangerous.

   "I'll have an opportunity soon to get to her!" I interrupt, careful to tip toe around father's fragile patience, "I received my Hogwarts letter recently."

   Father's eyes narrowed as he bent down to focus on the screen. He looked at my letter and a small, evil smile crept up on his face.

   "Letter? Excellent. I suspect that once you get there you do nothing but think of the plan."

   "Yes father."

   "And you do nothing but try and get to her, you understand?!"

   "Yes."

   The amount of feircness and urgency that laced his voice caught me by surprise. I began to sweat a bit, praying he couldn't see.

   I gulped at his words, my hands shaking. Hopefully not visibly.

   There was a loud crash behind him and he looked at the door with worried eyes.

   "I need to go," he said calmly, though I could see the sweat bedding on his forehead, "They're coming, and I need to cover it up. Oh, and Draco?"

   "Yes father?"

   "You better get to know her. I'm rotting away in this blasted place. You better not screw it up."

   Chills ran up my arms as I gulped and nodded. He gave me a sarcastic half smile, before the screen faded and went black.

   Salazar. What have I gotten myself into.

A/N

Another day. Another update.

VOTE

COMMENT

XOXO - Sarah