Chapter Eleven

*Draco POV*

Blake.

His stupid smug face. His cheesy smile. His bloody brilliant hair.

I hate it.

I hate everything about it.

I hate how he just had to transfer this year and just had to mess up father and I's plan.

I hate how he just had to make the job harder and sweep her off her feet.

As if charming her wasn't going to be hard enough.

Merlin, I hate everything about him.

I sipped my coffee in the common room. I watched all the giggly fourth years chatting away about which masculine Slytherin was going to ask them to the ball. Of course it had to be a Slytherin, otherwise they wouldn't go considering that would be treason to their blood prejudice families.

Well, who am I to talk?

I watched silently as Blaise rose to his feet and walked over to my drafty corner of the room. This was my favorite table, it always has been. It sat in the darkest corner, secluded and cozy, making me feel like whatever was being conversed here would never leave the safety of its shadows. Of course, only if the subjects I'd chose were worth trusting, and right now I feel like Zabini's the only one I can trust.

"Draco," he said dryly, setting his book on the counter. He looked at me with earnest, undoubtedly questioning my next move on the infuriating witch,but I chose to ignore it. And it's not like the only reason was because I didn't know what it was either.

"Blaise," I respond. He raised an eyebrow. I can't hide anything from him, considering we've been best friends for who knows how long, and the old prat knows me inside and out.

"When're you gonna ask her?" That was Blaise, always cutting to the chase.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I scoff, folding my arms over my torso. He knew exactly what I was doing, and I could tell just by the way he sighed and crossed his own arms. His chair squeaked as he leaned back.

"Granger. When are you going to ask her? Time is running out. The ball is in a month and your father will not be pleased if you mess this one up."

Typical Zabini. Realist and rationalist.

"Look, it's not as easy as it looks," I shoot back, careful to keep my voice level and away from the listening ears of the common room, "Do you have any idea how hard a blow it's going to be to go to the ball with Granger on my arm! My pride will be ripped to shreds!"

"It's not like you have much of a choice mate," Blaise countered, taking a long swig of his flask, "You don't go with her, and the entire plan falls through the seams."

"You don't think I know that!?" I spat. I quickly realized I was whisper screaming, and looked around cautiously, dropping my tone as a few nosey students turned their sight towards me, "This entire situation is giving me Grey hair!"

"Woah there, you're eighteen, don't go turning into Lucious," Blaise said with a slight smirk, and it was all the self control I could muster not to smile.

"Look, what am I going to do if she says no?" The thought had been haunting me since the first meeting, "I can't force her to go with me, then it won't work."

Blaise nodded his head silently, closing his eyes and expressing a moment of deep thought and concentration, before sighing and chuckling a bit.

"What?"

"I really thought that someone who's getting O's in Logical situations would be smarter than this." He took a long drink, and I took the pleasure of scowling at him harshly.

"Well, what do you propose I do smarty trousers?" I fit in as much sarcasm in the sentence as I could muster.

Blaise leaned forward, putting his weight in his heels as he looked at me with an earnest, yet caring expression.

"You make her fall in love with you," he said with a wink.

Merlin, I'm doomed.

"What?" The soft voiced question was almost a plea of "Please don't make me pretend to like HERMIONE GRANGER!!!".

"If you can't make yourself good enough for what she wants in a man, than change yourself to her ideal guy."

"You want me to act like Blake?" I sighed, "Not happening."

"It's the only way!" he protested, "Blake's got the mudblood wrapped around his finger, and if you imitate him, then soon you will be too."

"As much as I hate to admit it, Granger's smart. Smarter than me. She's gonna catch on eventually."

"I know that," he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, "That's why you don't act exactly like him. Just be yourself then do some things he'd do that maybe you wouldn't. Acting my friend, acting."

"This is ridiculous," I mutter, scuffing my shoe against the floor.

"Face it man, it's your destiny."

I rolled my eyes as he stood up, gathering his things.

"Now, go woo your woman and don't make us get punished next meeting."

A/N

Draco and Blaise's relationship is one of my favorite things to write about in a book. They're definitely one of my fav bff pairings in the HP series!

VOTE

COMMENT

XOXO -Sarah