Chapter Twenty-one

Draco hadn't returned my Time Turner since he borrowed it. His said deadline for when his project was due had long passed, and I began to worry. I'd missed a few of my classes, and if I didn't stop, I'm afraid Headmistress McGonagall will start to question me.

   I walked swiftly up the stairs to the Astronomy tower, Draco and I's study session about to go underway. When I reached the top of the steps, I was surprised and a little taken back to find him already there, waiting for me. He had dark circles under his eyes, his hair was matted and sticking up in places, and his tie hung loose on his collar. He looked like he'd been through a Whomping Willow. 

   He looked up as I cleared my throat, his grey eyes filled with anxiety as I occupied the seat next to him. I glared at him side-long, and was a bit uncomfortable as I found his stares unwavering on my figure. He looked truly pained as we exchanged homework, and he ran a frustrated hand through his blonde locks as he opened my Potions workbook. 

   We sat in silence for a good while, but I couldn't help but focus my gaze on him. I had gotten so increasingly worried for Draco over the past few weeks I was beginning to scare myself. Every time I saw him it seemed that something new had crushed onto his mind, and I stared at him, trying to unravel his puzzle of emotions piece by piece.

   It wasn't long until he caught me staring, but neither of us broke our gaze on each other's. We sat in silence, looking into each other's eyes that were swimming with emotion, trying to understand what each of us were going through. Naturally, we couldn't, and it wasn't long until Draco softly closed his book, surprising me a little by taking my hands in his cold, pale ones.

   He stared at me for a long while, but unlike the others, this stare meant something. He looked truly pained, and his neck sagged between his shoulders as he met my eyes, staring up at me with a look of such gravity it almost brought tears to my eyes. He let out a deep sigh. 

   "Hermione," he said, causing my breath to hitch in my throat, "I know you want to know what I've done with your Time Turner." I didn't protest, waiting for his next response.

   "But I can't tell you."

   For some reason, something inside me snapped. I no longer cared about the Time Turner or whatever he'd done with it, but about him. I knew he was hiding something from me, but, using me in the matter of my objects, he was bringing me into the situation, and I wasn't going to stand for it. Surprising even myself, I ripped my hands away from his and clasped both hands on his cheeks, forcing him to look at me. I tried ignoring the way he looked at me, startled, his eyes scanning down my body. I was also sure I wasn't good at hiding my most likely flaming red cheeks, but I was determined to get my point across. 

   "Draco," I pleaded, my pulse beating in my ears like drums, "I hate being lied to, and I hate you keeping secrets from me. I feel like I can't get anything out of you! You turn me away and it kills me Draco! Please, please let me in! I can help you, I can-"

   What happen next had me so startled I almost jumped. He cut off my words, smashing his pale lips onto mine, wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning in. I closed my eyes, melting into his kiss with a sense of urgency, like it was long overdue. It didn't feel like any of my other kisses, this one felt genuine. Not like the pecks or innocent ones that I'd given Ron or Blake. No, this one was real, and I found myself digging my hands in his snow white hair, my arms wrapped firmly around his neck.

   When we finally did pull apart, we gasped, placing our foreheads together. We gulped for air, never releasing each other, and I felt my heart still bursting at the seams.

   Holy Merlin, I just kissed Draco Malfoy!

   Draco finally pulled away, a look of undeniable sadness on his face. Thoughts began running through my head, worrying if he'd regretted it, my heart crushing at the thought.

   He finally looked me in the eyes and spoke. "Hermione," he said, "I didn't regret that. And for this I am truly sorry."

   "Draco, what're you-"

   But my words were cut off by a deep chuckle, my heart racing in my chest as the familiar dark haired American walked out of the shadows. He clutched a bag in his hands, and a smile laced his lips. I looked at Draco for a split second, my mouth open in fear and betrayal as he stood up and went beside Blake, a single tear falling down his face. Blake only smirked at his partner, myself still in shock at my betrayal. 

   "Nice work, loverboy," Blake said, before pulling out his wand, "Stupefy!"

   My world enveloped in black, and the only thought racing through my mind before unconsciousness was the words Draco had spoken a lifetime ago, back at the ball...

   "Blake will betray you, you cannot stop him..."

A/N

AHHH THERE FIRST KISS! Also, friggin' plot twist. 

I updated on time, be proud of me.

- Sarah