Chapter Twenty-Eight

I rushed down the stairs of the Burrow, Ginny following on my heels as the rest of the family sleepily poked their heads out of their rooms. It was most likely close to three in the morning, and the family had already stayed up late, so I watched as they looked concerned, picking up speed and gathering in the living room.

   I was breathing hard, my mind racing from my earlier encounter. I thought that if I stumbled or misremebered important information, all of Hogwarts would go down in flames.

   "Hermione?" Mr. Weasley asks, looking startled, "What is it? We only have a few hours until the Ministry arrives."

   I couldn't speak, gasping for air as I looked around, terrified. I didn't realize how hard I was shaking until Mrs. Weasley came over and put a maternal hand on my shoulder, easing me down into one of the kitchen chairs. Even then I dug my hands in my hair and fought the urge to cry.

   "Hermione," she cooed quietly, sitting beside me and hugging me slightly, "We won't be able to help your problem if you won't tell us what it is."

   It seemed reasonable, but still my tongue felt thick and heavy in my mouth, like wading through peanut butter. I slowly lifted my head and looked the family right in the eye.

  "Draco visited me in a dream last night."

   The silence after my explanation was defining. Every family member exchanged loaded looks at each other. George sat in an arm chair, his hand rubbing his eyes and his jaw tight. Despite my fear, I pitied him. George had been through enough change and abnormalities over the last year, and to reel him into another one made my throat constrict with tears.

   "What do you mean? How?" Mr. Weasley sputtered, walking swiftly to the table where his wife and I sat, taking my shaking, icy hands in his. I took a shuddered breath before speaking, very conscious of the attention I received from every member in the room.

   "Well, he didn't quite explain it to me," I said, crossing my arms in concentration, "But we were in some sort of dream world, at Headmistress McGonagall's office."

   "The Visiting Charm..." Percy said quietly on the opposite side of the room. We all turned to him, surprised as he looked at the ground, contemplating.

   "The Visiting Charm!?" Mrs. Weasley exclaims, exasperated, "How could the boy perform that! It's a very complex piece of magic many old wizards can't even perfo-"

   "Because he had help," I cut her off. The family looked at me, surprised and curious. I didn't even know it was true, but it seemed so right I couldn't give the idea up.

   "Draco said his father is preparing his 'final blow' of some sort," I say, recalling the events, "And how we need to come immediately and stop him. Perhaps Draco had help to perform the spell from a Death Eater."

   "That doesn't seem entirely out of the question," Mr. Weasley states, taking his hands out of mine and crossing them in his lap, "But why would any Death Eater help him."

   "Aren't we all forgetting something!?" Ron exclaims from across the room, causing everyone to jump. He gets up from where he was leaning on the wall, a deep look of anger on his expression. I felt a bit defensive.

   "And what is that, Ronald?" I said, feeling some strength return to my limbs and standing up, meeting him halfway.

   He stood at his monstress height above me, looming over me not unlike Draco used to. He looked pained, but had a fierce sense of protection and anger in his blue eyes that made me clench my fists, feeling the strange sensation to defend Draco, especially after he said sorry. Still, the rational part of my brain suspected it not to be true, though it was nice to wish.

   Ron stumbled back a bit, as if shot.

   "Aren't we all forgetting something!?" he said, throwing his hands in the air wildly, "This is Draco Malfoy we're talking about! He could be tricking her into thinking he cares, which is exactly what he's doing! Tricking her into fancying him and then back stabbing her for his father all along!"

   I stood on my tip toes, new defensiveness seeping into my bones. "I am not being tricked into anything!" I shot back, "Draco is one of the kindest, most broken souls I've ever met, and I'm trying to help him! Just because... because you don't like him doesn't mean I don't! And you know what Ron? It's because I love him!"

   The room was quiet. The family stood gawking at our interaction, but I only had eyes for Ron, who took a step back, looking positively devastated. Tears brimmed at the bottom of his crystal eyes, and he said in a small, sheepish voice, "You...love him?"

   Suddenly, a crash that sounded like thunder boomed so loudly everyone in the room screeched, covering their heads as if it were a bomb. When we realized it wasn't, we saw the hole in the wall of the kitchen, and stared mesmerized at the silver lynx standing in the middle of the room.

   "Kingsley's Patronus," Mr. Weasley, breathed, walking over to the shimmering animal and nodding his head. The animal began to speak, and my heart lept in my chest.

   "Hogwarts is under attack. Hurry, the Ministry has already sent all of their forces there. It's happening again, my friends, prepare to fight for your lives."

   And with that, it left the rest of us terrified as it disappeared into a puff of smoke.

A/N

It's...happening!!!! Chapters upon chapters of build up are finally coming into play!! Are you excited!! I'm excited!!

- Sarah