Recovery

They end up sleeping for another 2 hours before Dr. Halstead and Maggie come in to check on things. They wake up Kim which wakes up everyone else. Nicole and Kevin are beyond excited to see her awake.

"How are you feeling?" Dr.Halstead asks.
"A bit sore, but thankful to be alive" Kim responds.
"The soreness is excepted. I want you to send at least today and tomorrow in the hospital and we'll see how things go. Then you'll be off work for two weeks and light duty for at least 4 weeks" he explains.
"Whatever you say Doc" Kim says.

Will nods and leaves the room.
Nicole and Kevin move in to give Kim a hug, Adam steps back to give them time with her and he decided to call Voight.

"Hey Boss,Kim's awake. Says she's sore but okay. Will said should could be discharged tomorrow and back in light duty in 2 weeks,"Adam tells Voight
"That's good. The team and I will be down shortly to see her give an update on the case. Stay with our girl Ruzek," Voight responds.
"You got it" Adam replies.

He walks back into her room and stops at the doorway to take in the scene. Kevin is on one side rubbing her head and Nicole is clutching her other hand hugging her. He can't help but smile at all the love Kim has around her.

"I just talked with Voight, him and the rest of intelligence are going to come down to see you and update us on the case," Adam says.
"I can't wait to see everyone," Kim says.
"I'm hungry, Nicole and Adam you guys want anything?" Kevin asks.
"I'll walk along, I need to stretch my legs. We can bring you back a sandwich Adam," Nicole says not wanting to leave Kim alone.
"Sounds good to me," Adam says.

Nicole and Kevin head out of the room to get some food. Adam slowly makes his way to Kim's bed unsure of how he should proceed.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Adam tells her tears forming in his eyes.
She grabs his arm and motions for him to sit down on the bed.
"This is a way to familiar sight. I'm glad you're here. I'm glad you didn't get shot," Kim replies.
"Why did you do it? That bullet was meant for me Kim" Adam says.
"I couldn't let her shoot you. It would break me," Kim says softly.
"Seeing you shot again nearly broke, especially because it should be me", Adam says slightly angry. She doesn't need to protect him, it's the other way around.
"Let's just focus on us both being okay," Kim responds sensing his anger. She runs her hand up his arm.
"Can I ask you for a favor?" She starts.
"Name it" Adam replies.
"Would you lay down with me? Please. I just need someone to hold me," Kim says weakly.

Adam is shocked by such a forward request but chalks it up to the meds. He nods and Kim moves over and Adam lays down beside and stretches his arm out. She curls into his chest and places a hand on it.

"How's this?" He asks.
"It's better, I just keep having flashbacks" she says.
"I got you darling" he responds.
She smiles at her old pet name and closes her eyes and quickly falls back asleep.