Sailing

The rest of the rehearsal dinner went fairly smoothly. Alyssa was able to get the injured officiant to email their speech to her and she forwarded it to you so all you had to do was read it from your phone. This is the easiest wedding ever, you thought appreciatively.

When the night was coming to a close, you found your way back to Joe, who was having what looked to be a serious conversation with Calvin.

"Don't fuck this up, man," you heard Calvin say. You cleared your throat to let the men know you were there. Calvin turned around and shot you an apologetic look. "He's all yours, Y/N," he told you, gesturing to Joe. You made a face at him, and then turned as he walked off to smile at Joe. "Ready?" you asked him as he offered his arm.

"So ready," Joe said enthusiastically. You felt his cheery mood rolling off of him in waves and it made you giddy. You sent a text to Daisy to let her know where'd you be. After all, you can't be too careful these days and someone needed to know where to start looking if your body parts ended up in various trash bags all over the Hudson River. Wow, that was dark, you thought to yourself, internally laughing.

Joe grabbed your hand and led you down the sidewalk toward a parking garage. You ran into his back when he suddenly stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and started giggling. "Oh shit, I'm sorry!" he exclaimed, turning to see you stumbling backwards.

Catching your breath, you said, "That's okay! What did you stop for?"

"I can't remember whether you said you drove here or not," he said sheepishly, shuffling his feet nervously. "Yeah, unfortunately I had to get on the subway in this get-up," you told him, gesturing to your strapless pinstriped pantsuit. He cracked up when you winked at him.

"Okay, so we're just walking to my car now," he told you, resuming his pace from earlier. "Hang on, Joe," you said, stooping to removing your red heels. You reached into your purse and pulled out your black pair of Teiks and slid them on your feet, hooking one finger into the straps of your heels.

"I like a woman who comes prepared," Joe said, holding his arm out to you again. You  winked at him again and curled your arm around his and resumed walking. Without your heels you were now just an inch or so shorter than Joe.

The two of you continued walking and finally made it to the elevator of the parking garage. "Hmm," you hummed beside him, clearly amused. "First a parking garage, then a boat. If I didn't know any better I'd say we were in the beginnings of a very shitty and predictable slasher film." You both laughed and stepped into the elevator car, chuckling.

The elevator made its way up to the top floor of the garage and when it opened, Joe walked to the car with you at his side, clicking the key fob to unlock the doors. Once you were both seated, he surprised you by leaning over the console of the car and kissing you. When he pulled back, your eyes were wide.

"I'm sorry," he said. "Was that okay?" He must've missed the smirk on your lips. "Shhh," you said, pulling him back toward you, kissing him again. The two of you didn't actually make it to the boat until the inky black of the sky was starting to turn pink as the sun came up.