33

*

The Lionesses final game in Brighton wasn't the fitting send off they wanted before flying to France, after losing 1-0 to New Zealand, but the feeling that they created in and around camp, everything you saw on videos, photos, interviews etc; looking positive.

It wasn't exactly how I pictured my birthday to go, I was really hoping for a win but I was still lucky enough to be able to and watch them before they began their tournament.

They flew out a few days before their game against Scotland and I've been in France since the 7th June.

Nick wanted to me to come out to watch the England game obviously but also Lisa-Marie Utland, who we've identified as a possible signing. She is a forward with the Norwegian national team and she started and scored in their game against Nigeria on the 8th, before being replaced with ten minutes to go.

I spoke to our manager afterwards and I explained the points from the match, Nick wanting to hear the technical things about her game etc. He also wants me to attend to their game against the French, also in Nice, on the 12th to watch her play again.

So my schedule of games for the next few days looks like this:

Canada v Cameroon in Montpellier - to watch Janine

Chile v Sweden in Rennes - to see Kosse

France v Norway in Nice to watch Utland again

I'm gonna be a bit all over the place, but then I'm heading up to Le Havre for the England v Argentina match.

I will then go back to Manchester and watch Canada v New Zealand, Sweden v Thailand, Nigeria v France, South Korea v Norway on the tv, to then fly back out for Japan v England back in Nice on June 19th. I will then stay on for Netherlands v Canada, hopefully getting back to the hotel in time to see some of Sweden v United States.

Myself and Nick will aim to watch the South Korea/Norway game together so we can discuss Utland in more depth, before taking a case to Gavin on why we should sign her.

Getting back to the England v Scotland game, the atmosphere inside the Stade de Nice as absolutely brilliant, England fans everywhere with this one pocket of really loud Scottish fans and to add to the excitement, I found I was sat in with the players parents.

*

Flashback

Down here in the Cotê-D'Azur, the weather is absolutely scorching and it's lovely and sunny, although there has been scattered showers throughout the day.

There's loads of fans in the new Lionesses shirts, both the red and white with a plethora of names on the back, from my own City players and the likes of Steph, Ellen and Georgia to those of Arsenal, the other WSL teams and also Bronzey.

My own white home shirt has our captain's name and number on, much to the annoyance of Jill and also Stan. Having someone other than a City player on the back would look a bit controversial, supporting a player that doesn't play for us or it may be seen as I'm supporting them because we're signing them; even if we're not.

I was gonna go with my name, cheesy I know and Stan's number but I thought I'd go with that of one of my best friends.

The stadium is jam packed full of both Scotland and England fans, as well as some neutrals with the main bulk of the Scots away to my right in the corner of the stand; flags up and singing as the teams make their way onto the pitch.

The England line up includes five City players and two former Blues while Caroline is now the only Scot we have on the team following the departure of Jen and Claire.