10

*

International duty may mean no club football, but that doesn't mean my work stops which is why I'm taking the extra time in my stride and using it to my advantage and prepare to the max ahead of the girls return.

So far I have managed to sift through all of the Birmingham game, make notes on the team and scout ahead to our game with WSL newcomers West Ham.

Since they have recruited the majority of their players from this league, Nick has asked me to pay close attention to their tactics in the past few games and in particular to how Matt Beard likes to play former Blue Jane Ross.  I have only just started but I can already see they're a bit disjointed, probably down to the fact they've been thrown together and don't understand each other yet.

"Busy, I see".

Caroline, who I didn't even notice come in, is perched on the edge of my desk, looking intently at my computer screen.

"Yep. Researching for West Ham's maiden visit" I nod, "interesting group. He's done incredibly well to get them together like that and make it work" she says, "indeed, but there are plenty of things we can capitalise on" I explain.

"You haven't come to tell me one of them is hurt and is coming back early, have you?" I sigh and Caroline shakes her head, "that's a relief. We seem a bit thin on the ground after Lauren's injury".

"How long is she out for?"

"Fourteen weeks, something like that. Hamstring" I reply.

"Hmmm. Mel's ankle hasn't been right for a while and she'll do well to get through camp without pulling out. I can't imagine Phil being too pleased with her after last time" Caroline says, "anyway, places to be, people to see. See you later Lottie".

*

During lunch, I get what seems like an urgent message from Steph so naturally when I go to call her; I'm a little worried.

"Steph, what's wrong?".

I am worried she has bad news but her reply says otherwise, "nothing. Don't sound so worried" she laughs. "Good. Why did you text, because I'm now a little confused" I answer, "just to see how you are coping without having us around" the captain explains.

"Oh please, this is the quietest the CFA has been since I've been here and I've managed to get work done without interruptions from you lot".

"So you aren't missing us then?" Steph says and I smile, "nope, I am coping wonderfully".

"How's camp?".

"Great, nice to be with the team as always. Looking forward to the games, they should be good markers for where we're at against non-European teams" the defender replies, "how were Brazil? I heard most of the team got injured in the first half" I say.

Steph laughs again, "it felt like it, but in all seriousness, disappointed not to have scored more but we're happy with the overall performance" she says, "I take it you didn't watch it?". I shake my head, "no I was busy sorting stuff for West Ham, but I recorded it and will watch it back, don't worry" I smile, "good. Right I better go before one of the girls comes over and wants to talk your socks off" Steph explains.

"I'm sure you've got things to be doing" she adds, "see you soon".

"You too and good luck against the Aussies".

*

As I reach my apartment and park up, my phone pings and I squint through the dark to look at it.

From Lily:
Are we still on for FaceTime? I'm worried it's late and you've had work. We can re-arrange if we need too x

To Lily:
Nope, good to go. Just give me a minute x

Lily is over on a scholarship at the very same UNC that was home to the likes of Tobin Heath, Heather O'Reilly and Lucy.

She was really the main reason Lily wanted to go there.

All her tales about the university and Anson Dorrance, appealed so much to Lily that once she had heard of it, she set her heart and mind on going there and that is what she did.

Funnily enough she's in the same year as some of Georgia and Ellie's youth England teammates, who have really helped her through being away from home and she has been fortunate enough to also earn their friendship.

I get out of the car and go inside, only just kicking my shoes before my phone starts ringing.

"Hey Lils, how are you? Missing you lots over here" I smile, "aww me too. I'm great, how are you? I hear the new job is going well, as expected" she replies.

"Good and good to be back with the girls again. I hope you've found your feet. Mum and dad send their love by the way" I say, "my feet are fine" Lily says and I laugh at her childish humour.

"I scored my first goal yesterday!".

"Ahh, congratulations. I'll make sure to look at Twitter".

"You better. Tell mum and dad I miss them and love them too" Lily says eagerly and I nod, "so, are we going to talk about the very obvious elephant in the room or not" my sister asks. I look at her and even through a screen, she knows not to have asked, so I deflect at question back her; "you need to tell me more about UNC, what's Chapel Hill like?".

And with that, my sister is off regaling me with her tales of university life.

*