13

*

"Warning. All turnstiles are now green".

A voice echoes through the stadium, that means a lot of things but also that kick off is now only an hour away and from my position on the gantry, I can see Birmingham's team bus parked up, fans waiting outside and any media personal in the opposite stand.

The fans will want as much action as our first league meeting had, but I don't think it will be too eventful as we want to get our heads down and secure that top league spot for Christmas.

I secure the camera and then go pitch side as the teams emerge for the warmups, the away team first as usual; followed by our lot not long after. As I hover on the touchline, waiting to see if I'm called upon by Nick or Alan for last minute information, my eyes wander over to the opposition, silently evaluating them but also looking for someone.

Finally I spot her.

Lucy's childhood friend, Lucy Staniforth and sort of a personal menace while I was seeing her.

When we visited Birmingham last, I avoided her but seeing the midfielder in such close proximity brings back all sorts of memories and not all of them good ones.

~

"I want to introduce someone to you" Lucy says, "this is Lucy Staniforth and she is one of my best friends, aside from Jordan. We grew up together" she smiles.

"Nice to meet you. You played well today, despite the loss".

Both of them smile at my comment, "thank you, we just weren't good enough today but we'll pull ourselves up and go again" the midfielder replies, "I couldn't go too hard on her could I?" Bronzey smiles.

"I'm going to leave you two to talk while I say hi to mum and Soph" the defender adds, kissing my cheek, "I won't be long".

"So, are you two together?" Stan asks, watching as Lucy walks away, "she usually tells me these things, we've known each other for almost forever" she adds, catching me off guard a little. "We're not officially. We enjoy the others company but we're just taking things slow at the moment" I answer to which Lucy smiles; a little forced I feel.

"Take care of her, because if you hurt her; you go through me".

~

Lucy's eyes have now found mine.

She stands retying her hair and listening to a teammate, looking almost annoyed that I'm here despite the fact she know I work for City, so much so that I'm worried she's going to come over but thankfully Alan calls me over and saves me from humiliation at least, keeping half an eye on her before focusing my attention elsewhere.

"What's up" I ask the former Ireland international.

"Nick wanted to know whether to stick with the original formation or switch it and play around with Georgia, Caz and Tessa in midfield".

"Well... their midfield is pretty full with Arthur, Wellings and Ladd, plus you've got Quinn, Follis and Staniforth... the game will definitely be won their today" I explain, "suggest playing a midfield three of Caz centrally, Keira and Jill on the wings with Keets up front, Tessa the right and Georgia the left".

Alan nods and goes over to Nick, the minutes seeming to pass agonisingly slowly but eventually he comes back and says the plan is a go.

Turning my back on the team, I walk to the tunnel with a proud feeling that I do when I do my job right but also a feeling that somebody is watching me. I shake it off and decide to join Megs and Fran in grabbing a quick coffee to help take my mind off things and people.

*

"Lottie! Get over here!".

Steph calls from the middle of the pitch, as I reach ground again but I don't question her and walk over, my trainers sinking into the soft grass as the other players walk off together; my feet carrying me in the opposite direction.

"I wanted to introduce you to my best friend, Ellen, who injured and only here for tv purposes" she smiles, "and Lucy Staniforth".

Oh god.

If only she knew.

I smile, saying hello to Ellen and asking about her injury, "it's getting there" she says, "another few weeks and I should in training again with an estimated return date of mid-January" the forward adds. "Isn't it nice to see Stephy smiling after Stephen's news" Ellen says and I nod "very much so, but they have a massive support network, who are here whenever needed" I answer, squeezing Steph's hand in support.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Lucy throwing daggers at me and if looks could kill, I would definitely be dead.

Steph, who is standing by listening to me and Ellen, walks the Birmingham player over to the tv crew and leaves me with a very unhappy midfielder.

Oh I suppose I better get this over and done with then.

"It's nice to see you" I say politely, studying her posture and body language, realising she doesn't want to be here either, "you too. A performance analyst are we now?" Lucy questions throw gritted teeth.

"Yes. I took over from Roya in September. I like working here, it's home and I like being around the girls a lot more again" I explain, "I'm surprised you didn't know about it, I was at your game when we last played you, funnily enough".

Lucy looks at more for a second and then spits out a question I wasn't expecting or prepared for.

"How's Lucy?".

I look confused and her eyes bore into me; not backing down.

"Bronze?" I ask and Lucy rolls her eyes childishly, "I don't know. I haven't been in touch and Keira doesn't talk about her much with Nick still being touchy on the subject" I reply.

"Fair enough" she shrugs, "but if there's one thing you should know, know this: it's extremely hard to go into an international camp and still see the damage caused by a former partner years ago, despite your best friend being with someone new".

And with that, she turns and leaves.

*