XLIII . She hasn't given up

It's an overcast day.

I'm out in one of the courtyards, just letting my mind drift. Rubble is still everywhere, but things are starting to revert back to normal, even if it's slower than Dampé. After the Gerudo surrendered- although begrudgingly- reclaiming the Hylians' land was easy. Without a master, the monsters were even more mindless and the ground we'd lost was regained. All there's left to do is negotiate some sort of peace treaty and rebuild what was destroyed.

I don't fit into that though, even though I was the one who killed Ganondorf along with Zelda, I wasn't a soldier and I'm no good at diplomacy. I've just been spending my days wandering around.

I don't know why I haven't just slinked back into my life in the woods. That seems best for someone like me. But I'm still on the fence about it. I'm already mostly healed from the fight, but I keep hesitating. I should just go. I belong in the woods.

She'll probably find me soon enough, even though she's been incredibly busy.  It's been around a week since the fighting ended, and Zelda is already about to be coronated. I guess it's because there's no use waiting for the kingdom to be restored. Hyrule needs a ruler, especially now. The world's been turned on its head and the people need a leader. Personally, I prefer being a loner.

Today seems like the day to leave though, I've got all my gear strapped on me. My pouch is on my hip and my shield is on my back. The master sword was missing from my stuff when I woke up, and I think it's still by the Temple of Time, stuck in his corpse. I wouldn't know, I haven't left the castle. I think they're saving his body for last, right now it's a slowly rotting corpse with a sword sticking out of it. Lovely. A grim reminder of the battle that bled through this place. Heck, castletown must be painted red- splattered with blood, even more than the original massacre. Hyrule is tainted in blood. Morbid, I know, but true.

I jump a little when I feel a tap on my shoulder, my heart thuds in my chest.

"What is it with you and heart attacks?!" I grumble, trying to calm my heartbeats. That princess loves to scare the ever loving crap out of me.

Zelda starts to laugh, which only makes me feel more prickly with irritation. Rubbing salt in a wound.

"I'm sorry," she has to pause as the giggles become uncontrollable. Is she about to fall over? Her hand seems to have tightened on my shoulder, "scaring you is too much fun fairy boy."

"Uh huh, you're lucky I'm so goddess darned entertaining." I say, the snark barely manages to hide the annoyance in my voice. But the banter and annoyance is part of whatever our relationship is. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Zelda finally seems to get a handle on herself and for a moment it's silent. The sky is covered with thick, soupy clouds that hang over us. The air is cool and there's a slight wind, making the tall grass and clumps of weeds rustle against each other.

"Please don't tell me you're leaving today."

I try to act coy, but it crumbles and I can feel my cheeks flare up. Sneaky observant bugger.

"So what if I am?" I snark back, stupidly defensive.

I hear her sigh and move down to sit on the broken steps beside me. It's the same as when I met her for the first time, although the courtyard is in ruins now. It's pathetic how dilapidated the castle has become.

"I know you feel like you don't belong here, but can you stay for me?"

I look at her, silent. I don't know what to say, banter is one thing, but the mood has gone to somber. I almost feel like I'm being called out, which is ridiculous. She may be my superior, but I don't fit in this life.