XIV . Strings attached

Although it isn't official... I think we can both mutually agree that we're dating in some form or fashion.

Things don't change too much in the next few weeks, we already spent time together often anyway, but it seems more meaningful now that we have a deeper bond. And, another plus, she's being a tad bit nicer to me.

———

I've thought up and successfully executed other escapades since our first one, but I think I like this one the most by far.

We managed to negotiate our way out of the Ranch- which meant Malon used threats and her position as being one of the ranch owners to get them to let us out- and we rode to Lake Hylia.

It's around noon, and on the way out I was able to sneak some food into a sack and bring it with us.

It's a nice day, hot but breezy. I had to deal with some monsters on the way, ones that were patrolling around near the lake, but it's surprisingly sparse. There were definitely more monsters out when I went to the war consul with Zelda. It's almost unsettling in a way, but I just ignore that irrational worry. All that matters is that they aren't here.

But my sword skills have been improving, those guys are even easier to beat than before. Not trying to hurry up and jump to conclusions, but I feel closer to that heroic version of myself than I was before. Maybe Zelda was right after all, I've still got parts of him within me. I don't know.

———

We just got to the lake, and even though it's hot... I admit it, it's a beautiful day. It's so pretty it almost seems artificial.

The sky's a clear and bright blue, and the minimal clouds in the sky have that fluffy quality to them, white and soft. I see some purple specks up against the blue, guays. Those buggers have always annoyed me, they're practically natives of the lake and there seems to be an endless population of them two. Not a threat, just nuisances. If any of them have the nerve to come over here and swoop at us, they won't live for long.

The lake it shimmering under the sun, surprisingly clear. I can even see the Water Temple all the way near the entrance to the Lake. Isn't that just great? But in all seriousness, that place wasn't too bad, I think Ruto's and my "engagement" was the worst part.

"Here, give me the sack."

I hand it to her, and she starts looking through it. I packed as much as I thought wouldn't be noticed. A few apples, a loaf of bread, but not much of anything else.

"Sorry, I didn't want to bring too much," I say with a nervous laugh.

"I can tell," she says testily.

"Geez, cut me some slack okay?"

I'm almost annoyed by her response. I was trying to be cautious okay? And I didn't want to steal too much food from my fellow soldiers, because as much as I may dislike most of them, I know how hungry you can get training at that ranch. I know that somehow Zelda wouldn't have given me a hard time about this.

Oh geez! Why am I thinking about her? Ever since Malon and I started "dating" I haven't even seen Zelda, and yet my mind always seems to drift to her.

Why?

Last time I checked, I barely tolerated her. With her cold sapphire eyes and her expectations of me. How I'm a hero and how I should be nice to her. Like I used to be. She's so caught up in who I used to be.

I haven't seen her lately, and honestly I'm relieved. I wouldn't want her to see Malon with me. I don't know why.

"Hey you okay? I didn't mean to make you feel bad fairy boy."