Cheer Captain Tries To Change The Game

Start from the beginning

"So, any new girls on your "check list"?" I ask Natsu out of the blue.

"Hm?" He glances over at me, his oynx eyes confused for a second.

"You know, the list of girls you would date," I shrug.

Last year he came up with a list of girls he would date, and he called it a "check list". He would check them off as he dated them, waiting to find the perfect high school girlfriend. He was single currently, but I had a feeling that status wouldn't stay the same for long.

"I added only one name so far," he tells me.

"Oh you did? Who?" I ask curiously.

"Lisanna Strauss," he informs me.

"Oh! The cheer captain? Isn't she that really nice girl that also volunteers and helps her older brother with his work?" I look at Natsu.

"Yeah, that's her. I'm really into sweet, cute girls right now, and she fits the bill," he shrugs.

"Awe that's so cute!" I tease him. Though oddly I was getting a hint of jealousy. I walked behind Natsu a bit and tried to shake off the feeling, furrowing my brow in confusion.

"Yo Luce! You doing okay?" Natsu called from in front of me.

Hearing his voice made me jump and I froze where I was. I hadn't realized how deep in thought I was. He walked over to me and looked me straight in the eye.

"Are you okay? You look pale as a ghost," he poked my cheek.

I finally nodded my head and he turned around and started walking, but I grabbed to strap of his backpack and let him pull me along, my bangs casting a shadow over my eyes. Natsu gives me a concerned look as we arrive at school, when Lisanna walked up to us.

"Hey Natsu!" She smiled and glanced over at me.

She turned to me,"Lucy are you okay? You look..."

"Pale, sick, frightened? Yeah, I know," I interject before turning and racing for the choir room.

I wasn't sure what was going on, but I would apologize to Lisanna later. I am simply having a bad day. I open one of the practice room doors and sit cross legged on the stool. I absently play the keys playing a soft improv melody and ending with an even softer, darker chord. I hear the warning bell ring so I stand up and head to Theatre, my actual first hour.

I step out of the room only to be caught up in a tight hug. I look and see Natsu's pink hair just out of the corner of my eye.

"You don't seem like yourself today," Natsu whispered.

"You know, I forgot to tell you our scenario," Natsu reminded me.

"What is it?" I ask pulling away so I can see him, curiosity over taking me.

He grinned, "Now there's my Luce,"

"So, tell me!" I say excitedly.

He leans closer to me and says, "It's safe to say we are very close partners,"

"Wait, so are we married?" I stare at him.

He nods,"Well, kinda. It said it had to be one persons name on the business title.." He scratched the back of his head.

"Baka! That doesn't mean we're married!" I slap him over the head.

"Hey I'm sorry! Sheesh!" He grumbled.

The second warning bell rings and we both head to our classes. I barely reached theatre in time and I sat down next to Levy, waiting for an opportunity to tell her about the scenario Natsu and I got.

• * •

"You're so lucky!" Levy whined

"Gajeel and I haven't even got a hint of what to do! All ours says is it must be something no one has thought up, and uses both people's interests," she sighed.

"Well, it could be worse..." I trail off as I catch a sight of Natsu with his arm wrapped around Lisanna.

"Guess the Basketball Star went for the Cheer Captain," Levy notes, catching my line of sight.

"Yeah, it's sort of cliché though, isn't it?" I fake a laugh and smile.

"I guess so," I don't catch Levy's odd look in my direction.

"Well, let's go to choir," I shrug and turn the other way and head down to the choir room, ready to sing these mixed emotions away.

• * •

Chapter 4 - A Walk in the Dark... - Preview

After still not shaking the strong emotions I was feeling, the mixes of anger, sadness and even joy, I decided to take a walk. I stepped out of Natsu's apartment and sighed before heading outside and onto the sidewalk.

The sun was sinking, turning the horizon a mix of pink, orange, and purple. The grayness of the clouds offset the colors beautifully. I shoved my hands in my skinny jeans pockets. A soft chilly breeze blew through my hair, lifting stray blonde strands.

I look up again and the sun is gone, with only a few stars peeking through the now black clouds. The dim street lamps lit small circumferences of light and between them where dark patches where there was only shadow. I turned around and began quickly heading home, suddenly very uncomfortable.

Then my nagging fear blossomed to life before my eyes, as two shadowy figures stepped into the light. Two older guys, probably a little older than college guys, stood blocking my path. One held a beer bottle and the other held a can.

"You have to be kidding me..." I mutter.