I'm about to smile back when I hear a hum beside me and I turn to see Lager looking at me with a small frown on his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly.

"You never payed this much attention to my eyes." He mutters, his frown deepening.

I roll my eyes, turning back to face the newcomers. 

If only he knew....

I clear my thoughts, giving my head a slight shake and it Lager. Cnstead watching as Max takes a step forward, his eyes widening. 

Quickly, he bows his head, and I feel a wave of deja vu as I recall how Becky acted the exact same way when we I first met Lager. Could these two people be connected to the High Commander?

"Maximus." The boy speaks first, his chin slightly lifted as he seems to gaze down at Max from a distance. "So you've returned." He says distastefully. 

The girl sharply elbows him, her eyes narrowing, before she turns back to Max with a smile. 

"You can raise your head, Max. We're not mad at you. I'm just glad to see you're safe." She says sweetly, and I instantly take a liking to the girl over the boy.

Max sheepishly raises his head, and that's when I remember how Max came to be a part of our group. After single-handedly  destroying two merchant ships in one of his tricks, his father banished him from Lucen Villa for three months. This is his first time returning since then, and I'm surprised I didn't notice how awkward it might be for him.

Max clears his throat, gesturing with his arm to us. "I have brought friends from Highclere. Let me introduce-".

"Oh we know all about them." The boy cuts in, waving his hand. "The High Commander, the Halfling, and the Human. You've brought quite the interesting group."

 I glare at the boy, opening my mouth to cut in, but Lager beats me to it.

"When mentioning me and my companions, I would ask that you address us with a little more respect." Lager says, his words pleasant, but the tone of them ominous. 

The fox-eyed boy slowly nods, seeming upset to be put in his place. I almost feel like laughing.

"Ugh, I am so sorry for his....our rudeness. It's been a few minutes and we still have not made any introductions. I am Iris, a niece of our High Commander Lady." The girl speaks in a sweet voice, giving an apologetic smile.

Bells start to go off in my head, and I remember the mission and what I was sent here to do.  Observe the High Commander's relatives, and find out if one of them is behind the High Commander's sickness in the goal to get the title of High Commander.

I'll have to keep my eye on Iris, I remind myself, but although I've only just met her, I can't see her having any ill intentions at all. Still, just in case...

"This incompetent person beside me," Iris continues, earning a glare the said person, "Is my cousin and also nephew of the High Commander, Cato."

"Pleasure to meet you." Cato says, and you can tell just by his tone how it's not really a pleasure at all.

So he's another one I have to keep my eye on. How many others are there?

"This is my.....friend, Beck-". Max starts to say, gesturing to Becky, when suddenly she cuts him off.

"Rebekka." She gives a challenging glare to the two Lightlings.

Meanwhile Max and I are staring at her in shock, while Lager looks as if it's nothing new. So that's her real name. I'm quite shocked, and kind of hurt, that this is my first time hearing of it. By the tiny frown on Max's face, I can tell he's feeling the same way.