34. say something

Start from the beginning

"He does, every time," Will finally speaks up. Jeongguk and Jin turn their head towards him, and he observes how unlike Jin, Will is always smiling. It reminds him of Grace. Grace.

"My parents call me saying they don't appreciate the angry phonecalls from the program," Jin laughs, his laughter squeaky like a wind-shield wiper. "I don't care though. This place is totally bullshit."

"Careful, Jin. The people here are gonna force you into 'the chair' again," Will taunts him, his voice sounding spooky. Jin rolls his eyes, busy trying to write Korean letters the correct way on his board.

"What's the chair?" Jeongguk asks another question. He's clueless, but thankfully, Jin and Will know what they're doing. He wonders how long they've been here.

"Basically punishment if you don't wanna play nice. They strap you to this chair and scream at you to banish the 'gay' away. Then they force you to watch gay porn, and if your body reacts, they punish you because God allows them to," Jin explains, the genuine laughter leaving his lips is replaced by a bitter chuckle.

"But y-you can't help that though?" Jungkook frowns, glancing up from his board to see Jin's features are stone cold. He peers over at Will, who also doesn't want to meet his eye either.

"What? How do you know? Unless?" Jin teases him. Jungkook's face instantly heats up, his cheeks feeling as though something is burning his skin. He ignores Jin and Will's laughter, instead focusing on his board.

"None of us are innocent Jeon. No need to feel gross," Will assures him after Jeongguk says nothing for awhile. Jeongguk nods, unable to bring himself to look up at him. Little does he know.

He stares at his messy writing, wondering what he should label. Jeongguk puts 'young pregnancy' under his mom's name, though he's sure it isn't that bad. She was in her early twenties when she had him. He also adds 'sex before marriage' since his parents weren't married then either.

Jeongguk's family is in Korea, so he doesn't really know them very well. He hasn't been to his home country since they immigrated to America even though he used to beg his parents to go visit. He's heard occasional drama about his dad's brother's gambling issues, and that his mom's sister was in debt.

Money issues. That's what he puts. Jeongguk leans back, staring down at his empty board, wondering how the hell other people's problems made him gay. Curious, he glances at Jin and Will's board, surprised they have more things than him.

"None of this shit is true," Will whispers, catching Jeongguk staring at his board for too long. Jeongguk gulps, ready to apologize but Will cracks him a smile.

"They like it when your family has a lot of issues," He says, gesturing at his board. "More reasons to blame your homosexuality on. My Aunt Betsy isn't a prostitute but it won't hurt to spice things up."

"God, I can picture Richards saying 'your aunt's prostitution stems from a troubling relationship with her parents thus her struggles prompt you to have homosexual thoughts' or some shit," Jin snorts. Jeongguk even finds himself smiling somewhat. There's just something about Jin that's refreshing.

It's already been thirty minutes, and Jeongguk realizes that he's been talking to them more than he's been working. Richards then comes around to check their boards and collect them, but he stops at their group a little longer.