29. hold me tight

[ 29. hold me tight ]
T A E H Y U N G

from here all i'm gonna
say is that it's gonna be one big
trigger warning ):

▂▂▂▂▂

Everything's been quiet—too quiet.

Taehyung hasn't heard from Jason all week nor has he seen him in the halls. A part of him is thankful Jason isn't around to control him, yet another part of him is wondering what he could be planning next.

Nobody knows what's going through his mind, and that fucking terrifies Taehyung. There's no way knowing what to do in response, or at least do something to protect themselves.

All they can do is wait, and as every day passes like some other normal day has gone by, it scares Taehyung to death.

Fortunately, Jeongguk hasn't been to school in awhile. After the party, he came down with some terrible flu that kept him in bed for almost the entire week. He has been throwing up, suffering hot flashes, and he's too tired most of the time to talk.

It's just Grace and Taehyung now, too. Justin left to Kansas at the beginning of the week with Laura, leaving the three of them behind. It's tough considering what's going on, but Taehyung and Grace know they can't hold him back.

They have to get past this together, and hopefully, just hopefully everything will be alright in the end.

Taehyung approaches their house, his knuckles rapping against the door. He waits on the porch, tired gaze traveling to the neighborhood in front of them. It all feels too normal, like nothing has ever happened yet it keeps on the edge.

"Oh, wonderful to see you Taehyung," Jeongguk's mother opens the door and greets him with a sweet smile. Taehyung returns the smile, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"I'm here to check on him again," Taehyung murmurs. Mrs. Jeon doesn't have to question him any further. She steps to the side, gesturing him to come inside and get out of the heat.

"He's feeling better, but he's tired. Thanks for being here with him," Mrs. Jeon leads him through the front door and hands him a pair of slippers every Asian household seems to have.

"It's nothing really," Taehyung mumbles quietly, exchanging his sneakers for the house slippers. Once he's done, he follows Mrs. Jeon over to the kitchen with something on his mind.

"Can I ask something ma'am?" He lingers by the door to the kitchen, unsure whether to come inside. Mrs. Jeon nods enthusiastically, the kindness in her actions making Taehyung's stomach churn with guilt.

"How come Jeongguk and Jason aren't friends anymore?" Taehyung asks, watching as Mrs. Jeon's bright smile falters around the edges. She hums meekly, her fingers reaching up to tuck aside her hair behind her ear.

"Well, Jason's a wonderful boy, but of course, not everybody's perfect Tae. He, like everybody else, has sins he's still repaying," Mrs. Jeon's explanation is vague, and he can tell she doesn't want to stay on the topic any longer.

Taehyung nods, muttering a soft thanks before turning away towards the staircase. He can't help but wonder as he walks to Jeongguk's room what sins he's paying since the adults know nothing of his behavior.